Cheapest way to cool master bedroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

brennok

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice as summer is slowly coming up and in Tampa it is starting to warm up. I am trying to find the least expensive route to cool my master bedroom as cold as I possibly can :). To give you an idea I am one of those people who in the Florida winter regardless of if it is 30 outside will have my fans on and the windows open allowing me to get my house down to 50 or so.

As it stands now I have the thermostat set to hit 68 around midnight to 1:00 AM so it is cool when I go to bed. Unfortunately as a result I am really overcooling and running my electric up since I only need my room to be this low and even lower if I could cheaply. I have started looking at window units but the two windows closest to my bed are only 12.5" high by just shy of 24" wide. I am just looking for ideas or suggestions. I figure there should be some way I run something in my room while raising the thermostat for the house so that I could save some on my electric. My bedroom is probably 17x20.

If I could find a way to bring my electric down lower or keep it the same while making my room colder I would definitely be interested.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is your choice, but 68º is a very very low temperature to achieve with residential A/C. Many people live with a system which would never achieve that.

You could get a portable air conditioner which would connect its hose to that small window.

Have you checked the humidity in the house? I know it is humid in FL, but if you have the A/C running that strong, it should be lowering the RH. If the A/C is overpowered, it could be short cycling, which will not get the humidity down like it should.

You would find a better comfort level by lowering the humidity.

3m

Reaction score
Chech with one of your local heating and air contractors on a split mini system, it can be sized to cool only one room and make it as cool as possible without cooling all of the house. And one thing you dont want to do is close the registers to other rooms in your house, your air conditioning needs a minimum amount of airflow over the coils to work right and closing registers and doors to try and save money usually ends up costing you more then it saves

brennok

Reaction score
I will check into that. Yeah I had been told about not closing the doors or registers so I don't but I do have them open only about 25% in the rooms I rarely go into.

I realize 68 is a low temp to aim for and my Trane system seems to be able to pull it off. Anything higher than 70 though and I have a tough time sleeping. They need to make cold beds and sheets. I think I am just spoiled since I have been able to keep it around 50 in here for so long this year and I am trying to desperately hold on to the cold.

weather777

Reaction score
I found a product called BedFan to try to accomplish your goal---just got it last week so I have no opinion as to effectiveness yet.Im not sure if the noise level is going to be a bother .You can do a search and form an opinion.

I have no vested /financial interest in the product.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I just noticed you wanted the cheapest way and the Mr. Slim is not...but would work great...if you did get one it would lessen the demand on the rest of the house and you might even be able to turn off the rest of the house at night or at least not cool it as much and save energy that way...

Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Cheapest would be put a window AC in
I prefer to build them into the wall

A 17x24 = 340 sq ft
According to this an 8-9,000 BTU would do it

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=roomac.pr_properly_sized

Since you like it cold I'd go to a 12k AC
I picked up 14K AC's for less then $200 each after a rebate
You'll quickly save the money of having one built into the wall in reduced electric costs

I put a 24k AC in the wall at my old house ~912 sq ft
I also had one in the bedroom that was 10k (cathedral ceiling)
I ran the bedroom AC a lot more then the main room (open floor plan)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are calculators that take into account the exposure, volume, window area, insulation factors that will help you size a a/c unit. The worst thing you can do is use an oversized one - it will short-cycle and make it cold, but clammy. Max comfort requires dropping the humidity levels, and that means many passes over the evaporator coils, and if it is oversized, it shuts off before that occurs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks