Lead pipe sizes

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
What are the standard lead pipe diameters around the 4 inch mark? I ask cause I have 2 pipes. One I cut and put a 4" boot to convert to PVC. The other I did not do just yet cause it looks slightly smaller that the first. did a circumference test and it is definitely smaller that the first. Seems like 2 inch cir difference. Afraid the 4" boot will be too loose. house is from the 50's

Thanks

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Putting a rubber coupling on lead is not a good idea.You need to cut back to the solid pipe then go from there.Is it C.I. or copper that the lead is connected to?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lead

Lead is not a good candidater for a compression joint because it CAN compress. Even the brass ferrule that the lead is soldered to is tapered so it should also be removed and the connection made differently.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Lead is not a good candidater for a compression joint because it CAN compress. Even the brass ferrule that the lead is soldered to is tapered so it should also be removed and the connection made differently.

Forgot to mention the brass ferrule.Need to go back to the best section of pipe.
Be it C.I. or copper.They where using DWV copper in the 50`s

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks