Ceramic Tile - thinset and tile gaps

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I'm renovating my bathroom, and just finished laying the ceramic tile. During the installation process, I realized that there was some unlevel areas on the floor.... I dealt with them as best I could, but was having some issues keeping some tiles in full contact with the thinset (one side would stick slightly up due to uneven floor).

I managed to get most of it right, but now that the thinset has dried I have found at least one tile to have a hollow sound at the one corner of the tile. I don't think it's completely in contact with the thinset. Is there something I can do to fix this without lifting the tile? Does grout play a role in solving some of this problem? I haven't grouted the tile yet. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a hammer, whack it hard in the middle to break it, take the pieces out and put in a new tile. If you are really lucky (depends on how old the thinset is, you might get it up, but would likely crack an adjacent tile in the process, so best to just sacrifice that tile.

Grout helps stabilize the tile, protects the edges, and helps to keep crud from getting down between the tiles, but isn't designed to hold them down or support them on the bottom. Grout can also make a design statement.

For best tiling help, check out www.johnbridge.com.

Reaction score
95% of the tile is in contact with the thinset and doesn't have a hollow sound. I have access to the area that appears to be lifting above the thinset.... isn't it possible to inject more thinset or some construction adhesive into the gap area? My concern is stepping on the tile and cracking the corner off where there is no support... if I fill it with more thinset won't that support the tile? I would REALLY rather not lift the tile if at all possible. Thanks for the response. Maybe I should post a picture.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you think you can get some thinset under there, give it a try. It's harder to get the tile out after grouting if it does crack, and, since you have to remove the grout, there's more of a chance of cracking something and having the grout not match in a patch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks