Dura-Pex (NIBCO)Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Rucker

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am a plumbing contractor in Oklahoma City, we are having problems with dura-PEX brass sweat in fittings that are deteriorating after 1 to 2 years. They are snapping off where the barbed portion is molded to the sweat part of the fitting. They look like they are rotting! Anybody out there having same issues? Also the stainless crimp rings (We no longer use) are splitting after installed 6 months to year thus the thing blows out on us, anybody else having this issue? The stainless crimp rings say "P-PEX" on them. We threw out all are stainless crimp rings and tools and went to copper. Thanks Bob

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Yes, you have been piping with inferior product. Jumping over to Wirsbo PEX would have been an alternative. Now Uponor.

arta

Reaction score
Brass PEX fitting rot

I read an article recently about the use of too much zinc in brass fittings. If the amount was over 10% the zinc would do something like oxidize out leaving holes in the fitting. I went to the website for the fittings carried by Home Depot to see if they were safe. The manufacturer indicated that the zinc level was 10% or less according to code specs. I'm assuming that the Zurn fittings in question were not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks