abs cure time

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocknroj

Reaction score
I am currently waiting 15-20 minutes between gluing and applying the pressure necessary to make the next glue.. When I tried to glue 2 joints quickly, I was surprised to see the first joint twist when I tried to twist in the second joint.. This was back to back gluing as fast as I could..

So I am tossing that joint and going back to the old method.. and waiting between successive joints.

I also knocked a glued section hard against a joist.. It had set for 20 minutes or so but appeared to show separation between the glue and the pipe where the glue pushes out of the socket.. I will probably redo this one as well..

I need to pass a leak test so am not sure about the cure time and how sturdy those joints are.. The can says 15 minutes before handling.. Temperature is about 40-50 degrees in work area.

Thanks in advance for your timely wisdom..

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You are right at the lower limit of permissible glue temp, probably. Check the can, and call the manufacturer. You will need longer set up time at low temp.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One afternoon I plumbed seven of these walls in ABS in 105 minutes, thats 15 minutes per bathroom and 13 fitting per wall.
91 fittings in all.
That's 69 seconds per fitting.

All of the holes had been predrilled, but that's how fast you can measure, cut and glue pipe.

Attachments

• dwv_wall.jpg
    dwv_wall.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 5,308

Phil Clemence

Reaction score
You are using primer? I can knock a fitting off if i act quickly but most often i find that if i have twisted a connection and in 15 seconds i realize the angle was off a bit, it is too late! i have to start cutting a new one. Isn't that typical?
PVC is tinker-toys for adults :D

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
We're talking ABS right? The black stuff? Cure time is seconds at best for ABS. PVC a bit slower but not much. No more than 20 seconds max unless it's damn cold.
Sure you are using the right glue? No primer for ABS either.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
useing the wrong glue....

We're talking ABS right? The black stuff? Cure time is seconds at best for ABS. PVC a bit slower but not much. No more than 20 seconds max unless it's damn cold.
Sure you are using the right glue? No primer for ABS either.

I agree, you have got some bad glue or probably the wrong kind, it should only take a few seconds , not 5 minutes...

something is wrong....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
abs

WIth ABS, you want to get the joint right or act quickly if you change your mind. Up until about 2 minutes you can take the joint apart if you put a hammer handle or something into the fitting so you can bend it apart. After that, forget it. It is where you put it forever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks