How to tighten a lose bath spout knob?

Users who are viewing this thread

IcedWater

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a newbie that would be grateful for any help you kind folks could give me. My bath spout knob is loose. I am unable to take a shower, as there is no water coming out of the shower, although it does come out of the spout / tap. The bath tub set up includes a knob that you pull up to divert water to the shower and push down to stop the shower and divert the water to the spout tap. The problem is that the knob that you see on the pictures is loose. When I pull it up to take a shower, it just slides right back down, so no shower!

I am attaching pictures of the bath spout, to better explain this set up.

How can I fix this? Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• SPOUT.jpg
    SPOUT.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,255
  • SPOUT-1.jpg
    SPOUT-1.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 2,004

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Yup, there is no tightening. If there aren't any screws holding spout on it will turn (rightey tighty, lefty loosey) A pliers handle in the spout opening will help loosen it.

chaoster

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my tub spout. Every two to three years I need a new spout. How long are they suppose to last. Is there a better solution?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

Would it upset you if I said that was probably the dumbest suggestion I have heard in a long time. IT would only be economically feasible if they were remodeling the bath, and even then it is not the most elegant solution for a simple tub.shower. A permanent repair would be to replace that generic diverter spout with the Delta pull down diverter.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Nah. Did not upset me at all. I have installed diverter valves in finished walls before, it is much simpler to do if they do have access behind the plumbing wall where you can cut into the dray wall. Cutting into a tub surround, or tile is not all that hard.

See I am noticing something on this forum though. You all really seem to like Delta, and Rheem, where in the area I work in I have to say over 90% of the plumbers thinks Delta and Rheem are junk. There was a "handyman" that remodeled a bunch of Condo's and he used Delta, the remodels are approximately 3 years old, the maintenance man has referred tons of these poor condo owners to me that have just recently having problems with their Delta faucets. Just in the last month we had to repair 6 of them and replace 4.

I guess it has to do what part of the nation/world you are in. For example when I am over near a town called Western Springs I can ensure you I will run into Crane faucets when they built the homes there around the 50's and 60's Go 15 miles west of there similar homes in a Town called Lombard homes built in the 50's and 60's all have American Standard faucets. As for water heaters, east of the Fox River I see mostly Bradford White, west of the Fox River, its mostly AO Smith. State and Rheem are spattered in the mix. Only time I get a request for a Rheem is someone remembering the name from their childhood, and its the only brand they ever heard of.

Sorry about the tangent of my reply. But I honestly believe if they are tired of having to replace tub spouts with diverters they can opt to install a diverter valve.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Well maybe the Grohe 3 port valve is an over kill here is a Chicago Valve designed for that use. I would just change the handle to a little more tastefully.
770-317PLCP.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay...
Lets put it another way...
Delta Plastic pull down spout #RP17453 $25
Delta metal pull down spout #RP17454 $45
Need I say more?:rolleyes:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The person just wants to replace the tub spout.Delta slip-fit if it is copper.
If it has a male adapter on the end of the copper they might be able to
twist it off and put a new one on.Same with galvinized or brass nipple.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
My response was more so directed to Chaoster asking if there was a better solution than replacing the tub spout every two or three years.

I have the same problem with my tub spout. Every two to three years I need a new spout. How long are they suppose to last. Is there a better solution?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My response was more so directed to Chaoster asking if there was a better solution than replacing the tub spout every two or three years.

In his case obviously he has some agressive water I would suggest the plastic delta with the pull down diverter. #RP17453

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

At least that Chicago diverter appears to be ADA compliant. In the 50's and 60's, Crane was the high quality line, (ever price a set of Criterion trim or the saddle seat toilet?) American Standard was next, and Chicago faucets were often the trim of choice, (another oldie is the 1" spout with the swinging diverter lever). We used Rheem water heaters because they were made just down the road in Chicago. Now we use whichever water heater the supply house carries, depending on which is closest to the jobsite. Which is why brands such a Lochivar are seldom installed, unless it is a specification job.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
American Standard

You misunderstood. The 1940, 1950 A/S valves were good. The modern ones are not.I will install a customer supplied A/S faucet, but would never furnish one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks