(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GE (Rheem) or State 40 gal short gas - which one?

Default GE (Rheem) or State 40 gal short gas - which one?

I need a new gas water heater as my 19yo Bradford White has developed a tank leak. I am considering a GE with a 9 year warranty from HD or a State Select with a 6 year warranty from a local plumbing supply house. They are both 40 gallon, short style, gas heaters. They are priced within $40 of one another.

They are both very similar heaters with a .59 efficiency rating. I would consider one of the .62 Energy Star versions except that I would have to re-route my copper water connectors, an air make-up pipe, and my gas line in order to fit a tall style. It just seems like a lot of work for not much gain.

Also, while Energy Star models are available in a short design, I cannot find any of them stocked locally. I am in the Boston area.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

I personally would go with another Bradford White, but to choose between the two you listed I would go with the State.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Hummm, the GE is actually made by Rheem, if you call the 800 number in the manual, they answer Rheem, not GE. This is generally considered a better unit than those from State, at least by people here for the most part.

If you buy the say 6-year version and opt for the optional extended warranty (if you want one anyways), it ends up cheaper than buying the (essentially same thing) with the longer warranty.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I'd get another Bradford White if I could find a supply house who would sell me one. I am not too concerned with the warranty, rather I am looking to buy the highest quality unit I can at a reasonable price. I will be installing the unit myself. So one says GE/Rheem and the other says State = what to do.

I have had more calls on warranties for a Rheem/GE than I have for State, less warranty calls on the Bradford White, and even less on AO Smith. I cover three large counties in the Chicago area, and all four brands are widely sold around here.

Okay that is good to know. My local supply house has a State Select 40 gallon short style tank for a very reasonable price. It does appear to be a well built unit with brass valves. It is only the 6 year warranty, but I take very good care of my equipment and I will be flushing it and checking the anode periodically. I am always a little leery of purchasing large appliances from the big box stores. It really seems to be hit or miss.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking state select is junk

state select is made by Smith and it is junk

it has the air filter underneath it that will eventually cause you trouble and clog up... I doubt the tank will last the warranty either...

Stick with the GE over the State.... at least it has the Rheem FVIR technology on it...

e

I second or 3rd the GE / Rheem...I replace Smiths constantly that are still under warranty and they have a new warranty policy...

if the heater fails under warranty you must have proof of purchase...they will no longer go by an inspection sticker date...so that means that if the house gets sold and the buyer doesn't get the receipt from when the heater was bought or installed by the plumber, from the seller and the heater leaks...to bad pal...no replacement heater for you...

now thats what I call a nice, customer friendly company, that backs their products...NOT...

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    I second or 3rd the GE / Rheem...I replace Smiths constantly that are still under warranty and they have a new warranty policy...

if the heater fails under warranty you must have proof of purchase...they will no longer go by an inspection sticker date...so that means that if the house gets sold and the buyer doesn't get the receipt from when the heater was bought or installed by the plumber, from the seller and the heater leaks...to bad pal...no replacement heater for you...

now thats what I call a nice, customer friendly company, that backs their products...NOT...
    Thats odd, I had no idea State and AO Smith are the same. I always thought they where two separate manufacturers.

I just did a warranty call on a State that had one month left on its warranty. They took the sticker no questions asked. And they are the only manufacturer that does not have the supply house charge me for the tank and then reimburse me when they reimburse the supply house, same supply house carries Rheem, which when I do warranty calls on them I have to front the money on the tank and wait 3 months for them to reimburse me.

Okay well the GE (Rheem) 9yr unit that fits my application is the PG40S09AVJ00 available at HD. I have read a few positive reviews of this unit. If I install this unit correctly and properly maintain it, will I get 10+ years of service? FWIW, it is $40 more than the State Select 6yr unit I am considering. I am not an expert on WH's at all, but I want to purchase a good quality unit.

Lets see for $40.00 more I get 4 years more warranty...ahhhhh yup it is a no brainer...if you need more convincing check consumer reports about Rheem/Rudd/GE heaters...

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    Thats odd, I had no idea State and AO Smith are the same. I always thought they where two separate manufacturers.

I just did a warranty call on a State that had one month left on its warranty. They took the sticker no questions asked. And they are the only manufacturer that does not have the supply house charge me for the tank and then reimburse me when they reimburse the supply house, same supply house carries Rheem, which when I do warranty calls on them I have to front the money on the tank and wait 3 months for them to reimburse me.
    Your supply house is sticking it to you...I deal with 3 different supply houses and none charge me anything when I am warranting a heater...It was my Smith dealer that told me about the warranty change...the State dealer is like the others and will use a inspection sticker for warranty purposes

Okay I will go with the GE/Rheem. It is an easy swap. I'd prefer to get an Energy Star model, but the re-routing required doesn't seem worth the effort. Also, when you compare the actual annual operating costs, there doesn't seem to be any difference between a .59 and .62 efficiency unit. They both have a $231 estimated annual operating cost on the yellow sticker. I found that odd.

Default state

In AZ, State had so many problems with one model that they pulled out and no longer sell heaters in Arizona.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking state in Indy

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    In AZ, State had so many problems with one model that they pulled out and no longer sell heaters in Arizona.

Their was no one in town even willing to carry State
    for a long time, then Stupid Fergusons took the line back on...... and dropped Rheem to do it!!!

o