4+yr old GE boiler TPR help

Users who are viewing this thread

crossjayaj

Reaction score
I've been studying how to maintain and fix this boiler. The boiler started to drain out massive water out of the overflow pipe when the boiler reach the certain temp. After seeing that the TPR is the problem, and with many sites saying that it is cheap to replace and easy as using a pipe ranch. I tried to take if off, but seems to be stuck on pretty well, and it has a rubber piece that covers the end of the TPR to the tank. Can't tell if it could be screwed off.
Could it be that this model has a different way to replace the TPR, or is there just one way by screwing it off? Maybe I just need to keep tugging on it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Okay, I think you mean temperature and pressure relief valve (T&P). They release for one of two reasons...temp too high, or pressure too high. Does the boiler have a temperature gauge showing the outlet temp? Unless it's making steam, it's probably not too hot. My guess is you have a failed expansion tank...$30 or so, and you're good. Check the pressures...if it exceeds 20# or so, and it will if the tank is shot, that's why it's leaking.

crossjayaj

Reaction score
Okay, I think you mean temperature and pressure relief valve (T&P). They release for one of two reasons...temp too high, or pressure too high. Does the boiler have a temperature gauge showing the outlet temp? Unless it's making steam, it's probably not too hot. My guess is you have a failed expansion tank...$30 or so, and you're good. Check the pressures...if it exceeds 20# or so, and it will if the tank is shot, that's why it's leaking.

I've checked, and it doesn't have a expansion tank. it doesn't have a outlet temp, it's not making steam, there's no pressure gauge. I set the temp to 110-115, and drained the tank half way 2-3x then filled it up again. when it fills up, I could hear a clear chuuuushiiish sound and the cold water stops. I wait around for another 1hr or so, and leave. This is a rental property, so I'll get a call from the teenant again, saying that the water is pouring out the overflow tube again! This GE boiler was bought and installed by Home depot about 4.5 yrs ago. I just thought that there should only be one way to replace the T&P. that this one isn't run inside the tank but should be able to screw off like the rest. thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tpr

You keep saying "boiler" but you are describing a "water heater". They are two different things with completely different control arrangements. Which do you have? No use telling you how to service a boiler if it is not what you have.

crossjayaj

Reaction score
You keep saying "boiler" but you are describing a "water heater". They are two different things with completely different control arrangements. Which do you have? No use telling you how to service a boiler if it is not what you have.

I get confused, because this hse have both. I thought the water heater which I've looked on the net numerous time which looked like the one I have which heats my water heaters. it has a auto pilot light and pressure gauge like every other water heaters. but the one I'm talking about, correct me if I'm wrong, is the boiler(right?) a huge tank that heats up for hot water use. this one is a 40gal GE, T&P on top, manual pilot light. I think the one I am describing is a boiler right? Pretty darn new to plumbing and home maintenence, but as a light auto mechanic, I could determine how certain mechanism work. but was just making sure I didn't damage anything that could've been avoided. thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A boiler heats the house (usually) via radiators. It can have a zone that heats your potable hot water (that is called an indirect water heater). If it is only used to heat water, it is not technically a boiler. If it has a pilot light, it is either gas or oil...probably natural gas. The T&P valves can wear out, so you might just try replacing it. But, you may also need an expansion tank, or if you have one, to replace the one you have.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tpr

A "boiler" has a pressure only relief valve, NOT a temperature pressure relief valve. "Water heaters" DO have a "TPR" valve, so you have to know which applies to you if you are going to change it. Then you have to determine WHY it is leaking, because if you do not fix the cause, the new one will do EXACTLY the same thing. From your added comments, we still have absolutely no idea whether it is a boiler or a water heater. If it is heating the house it is a boiler. If it is heating the water for your faucets it is a water heater. A 40 gallon GE unit would normally be a water heater, but it could have been used as a cheap substitute for a real boilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks