(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto Drake iron stains

DIY Junior Member

Default Toto Drake iron stains

I installed a Drake with Sanagloss in my master bath in 1984. I am getting ready to purchase another Drake for the main bath to replace a Crane contractor special. I'm wondering if there is something about the Sanagloss finish that attracts iron stains.

The bowl on the Drake starts turning pink below the water line a few days after cleaning. The Crane never turns pink. I believe it is iron because one time I replaced the water softener salt with an iron reducing salt and the pink disappeared until I started using regular salt again.

Any thoughts on why the Drake discolors and not the old Crane? Is there anything I can do about it other than use expensive softener salt? Thank you!

where did you get a toto in 1984? they didnt even come to america until 1990,unless your somewhere else.

DIY Junior Member

Oops! I previewed that post 5 times. Must be getting old. What I really meant was 2004.

thats what i thought.
    Last edited by gusherb94; 03-11-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Pink could be iron reducing bacteria...I get that in my toilets, both the newer Totos and in the original builder's special I had in there.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member

I hadn't heard of iron reducing bacteria before. Here is a link with some info about it: IronSulphurBacteria.pdf Sounds like it is usually associated with well water. I'm on chlorinated city water so hopefully I'm okay.

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar

I have the Soiree with the Sanagloss and it does turn pink as well, i thought it was because i don't flush at night and it builds up.
    I do not have any problem with rust or iron and i have two other Soiree's in the house and don't have an issue with them.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I'm on a city water supply, and I get it in the toilet, and around the edges of the tub (no Sanagloss on that!).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member

Very strange -- this pink business. I Wonder if there is something in the sanagloss finish that attracts iron molecules. I've ordered another Drake (w/ sg) for the main bath to replace the Crane and it will be interesting to see what it does. I'm betting it will go pink as well. My water softener has two or three months of salt in it. When it gets real low I'll put the iron reducing salt in it again.

Serratia marcescens

Due to its ubiquitous presence in the environment, and its preference for damp conditions, S. marcescens is commonly found growing in bathrooms (especially on tile grout), where it manifests as a pink discoloration. Once established, complete eradication of the organism is often difficult, but can be accomplished by application of a bleach-based disinfectant.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serratia_marcescens

DIY Junior Member

So I got my second Drake and installed it in the main bath. So far no pink in the bowl. In the event that the pink in the other Drake was biological I did the chlorine bleach shock treatment. It has only been a day and a half but so far it seems to have helped.

BTW, the new Drake is quieter. I like that.