(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: Well Storage Tank replacement

  1. #31
    Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer Waterwelldude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammyhydro11 View Post
    The pump shouldn't be set all the way to the bottom of the well and your casing stops at a certain depth depending on where they found enough, solid, competent, bedrock. If the casing is set in some loose or fractured rock, it creates a poor seal where, sediment and surface water above the bedrock can get into the well. Once the hole is drilled into solid rock, the casing is set, and drilling commences.
    sammy
    www.tylerwellandpump.com

    Forgive me if I missed something.
    The type of well construction you mentioned. How do you know that is the type of well in question?

    As you know, not all wells are drilled the same way.
    Some wells, the casing does go nearly to the bottom, be it two string or straight wall, minus 10 or 20 feet for the screen.


    Just wondering.


    Travis
    Last edited by Waterwelldude; 03-19-2009 at 06:42 PM.
    "I shall never surrender or retreat" -Col. William Travis


  2. #32
    DIY Senior Member mrmichaeljmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Unless you can't DIY, I would suggest shopping around for a better price...

    http://www.aquascience.net/pressure-...dex.cfm?id=505

    $399.50, shipping included.

    witch
    I wish I could DIY.....but I have no plumbing skills.

    I did shop around....this was the cheapest.
    One guy wanted $1100.....for the WX-203!!! that tank is over $100 cheaper than the WX-250 at the site you linked.

    Welcome to Fairfield County, CT. Everything is freakin' expensive here.

    When I call to set up the install, I am gonna try to haggle them down a few bucks.....hopefully.

  3. #33
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Riverview, Fl.
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Geesh, my WWT-45 Flexcon tank, the exact replacement for the Well X Trol WX-250 is $344.94. I guess I should raise my prices.

    bob...

  4. #34
    Moderator valveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lubbock, Texas
    Posts
    4,156

    Default

    I don't have any problem with you raising the price to $399. I just want you to come install it for 75 bucks.

  5. #35
    Previous member sammyhydro11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    709

    Default

    I suggest he buy it?? I guess that could lead to a question about someones education. Ha!

    sammy

    www.tylerwellandpump.com

  6. #36
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Riverview, Fl.
    Posts
    4,540

    Default

    Nope, no free shipping at that price. If we can get the bill up to $750.00, then the shipping is free. How about three tanks?

    bob...

  7. #37
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,790

    Default

    Travis, right on, but I think someone is ignoring you... That may be a good thing!

    Mike, plumbing skills like soldering and use of a pipe wrench or two are learned in about 30 minutes of practice. In CT, having someone install it for you, it might cost you more than the price of the tank. And they take the tools they use to do it with them when they leave.

    Sammy, with Mike being in CT, is he allowed to do it himself?
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 03-20-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  8. #38
    Previous member sammyhydro11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    709

    Default

    Is he allowed to do it himself? Who knows, i don't live in Ct. but on a professional level it would be wise for him to find out. Ha! Gary just keep telling everyone that the more drawdown in a well, the more it will produce, and then keep up with your bad mouthing of actual licensed well contractors. You are offended by licenses, certifications, proper water testing, and regulations because it negates your internet sales. You totally down play merit because you have none. People like myself care about this industry, care about peoples health, and also understand that our licenses and certifications show our true professionalism. You have been booted by so many internet forums because of your aggressive sales tactics but you are still here because you assist in other peoples sales.You are bad for the real people in this trade who rely on the local sales of our equipment and our local economy. You sound like some guy from Home Depot who wants to make everyone believe they can do it themselves but its really aimed at getting your unit sold. Oh yeah, "just find a local plumber to put it in", knowing damn well most plumbers have no clue about water treatment. Then you will try to make someone, that has no clue about plumbing, believe that they can be a plumber at a snap of a finger. It's sad that you rely on the fact that these people have no clue on water treatment. Basing what type of water treatment someone needs on a test from home depot is completely horrible. I think if Valveman knew more about water treatment and the proper ethics behind it, you would have been gone a long time ago. My dad always taught me not to get into a wresting match with a pig, because you both get dirty and the pig likes it, but you push buttons!

    I must still be here out of boredom to deal with a guy like Gary. Thank god spring is here!!!

    Travis, i wasn't ignoring you, and it takes a guy like Gary to assume that. Maybe the guys well is set up differently, but i doubt it. A screened well installed to only produce 3 GPM?

    sammy

    www.tylerwellandpump.com
    Last edited by sammyhydro11; 03-20-2009 at 08:08 PM.

  9. #39
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammyhydro11 View Post
    Is he allowed to do it himself? Who knows, i don't live in Ct. but on a professional level it would be wise for him to find out. Ha! Gary just keep telling everyone that the more drawdown in a well, the more it will produce, and then keep up with your bad mouthing of actual licensed well contractors. You are offended by licenses, certifications, proper water testing, and regulations because it negates your internet sales. You totally down play merit because you have none. People like myself care about this industry, care about peoples health, and also understand that our licenses and certifications show our true professionalism. You have been booted by so many internet forums because of your aggressive sales tactics but you are still here because you assist in other peoples sales.You are bad for the real people in this trade who rely on the local sales of our equipment and our local economy. You sound like some guy from Home Depot who wants to make everyone believe they can do it themselves but its really aimed at getting your unit sold. Oh yeah, "just find a local plumber to put it in", knowing damn well most plumbers have no clue about water treatment. Then you will try to make someone, that has no clue about plumbing, believe that they can be a plumber at a snap of a finger. It's sad that you rely on the fact that these people have no clue on water treatment. Basing what type of water treatment someone needs on a test from home depot is completely horrible. I think if Valveman knew more about water treatment and the proper ethics behind it, you would have been gone a long time ago. My dad always taught me not to get into a wresting match with a pig, because you both get dirty and the pig likes it, but you push buttons!

    I must be still here out of boredom to deal with a guy like Gary. Thank god spring is here!!!

    Travis, i wasn't ignoring you, and it takes a guy like Gary to assume that. Maybe the guys well is set up differently, but i doubt it. A screened well installed to only produce 3 GPM?

    sammy

    www.tylerwellandpump.com
    Sammy, since yer squealin' like that pig your Dad mentioned to ya, I'll take his advice.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  10. #40
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammyhydro11 View Post
    More like you have no firm ground against anything i said.

    sammy

    www.tylerwellandpump.com
    Sammy, your market is local and I doubt you will pick up much local business from your posts here in a DIYer forum but, you may lose business because of your posts here based on what and how you say it.

    I have been a DIYer since I was a kid in the 1950s. I am all for DIYers and have been selling to them from early 1992 thru 1994 on Sunday at a huge regional flea market! in central PA ($50K of sales in the 1st 6 months, and untold good will value for only $20 a day), and since 2002 thru email until Sept 2003 when my dinky web site went live (up to $250K a yr).

    Selling to DIYers as nothing but a voice on the phone is difficult and not everyone selling the same stuff can do it. It takes a lot of desire, patience and know how from the DIYer customers' point of view. Which many of them have little to no experience in installing but... they have the desire and only need some confidence that they can learn how. Look at you, you big dummy, even you learned how to solder and install a submersible pump at some point, right? Did you learn by taking tests or actually doing the wrench turning? I seem to be very good at teaching those that want to learn.

    You are against DIYers doing pump work or anything to do with a well and their own softener or other water treatment equipment installations, or hiring a plumber to do it I suppose. BTW, you do know that I don't sell pumps or tanks or CSVs right? Would you feel better if I did, I mean the bad economy and local dealers are taking business away from me, ya know?

    If my customer doesn't want to install their water treatment equipment themselves plumbers do it gladly. The customer does the programming etc.. I've never heard of a customer that couldn't hire a plumber, yet you go on as if that isn't true, do you know how that makes you look?

    You call me unprofessional and yet continue to expect me to be "PROFESSIONAL" DUH! and you want me to help you protect your local water treatment dealer/driller businesses for you. I suggest you learn who and how to market your LOCAL services to.

    You live and work in your local market and you travel through it daily and advertise in it, I don't. And you worry about me selling something to someone in it while all I can do is type on my keyboard while you bad mouth me!! The vast majority of people in your local area want you to do everything for them. A very very few want to do it themselves; fergit'em and get on with your life and reduce your stress levels so you can live longer. And quit coming on with this self proclaimed righteousness about protecting local businesses from the Internet and big box stores as if that's possible, it isn't so quit banging your head and get over it.

    I couldn't care less if you have all the licenses and Certifications money can buy, and guess what, my prospective DIY customer (IN YOUR LOCAL AREA) doesn't care either, they simply don't want to do business with a local dealer and until a few more months go by, the present government will probably allow them that right.

    If your business isn't doing as well as you want or need it to, figure out what mistakes you are making and what you need to do to correct them and what to do that your competition is not doing and is good for the customer and go do it.

    Personally I think you need to learn how to get people to buy from you. That's different than learning how to sell them something. That would be much better for you than using your licenses and Certifications as crutches while you mistakenly think they will bring you business. IMO, they'll possibly bring you a bit of business but not enough to recover your time and expenses. Word of mouth in your local area based on your abilities to solve your prospective customers' problems as simply and as affordably as possible is what you should be concerned about; and if you do that, business will boom.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  11. #41

    Default

    I jumped into this discussion because I recently purchased two bladder tanks to hopefully ease the cycling on my pump while watering.
    I'm a DIY'er when it comes to wells & plumbing, but I have extensive mechanical experience. Metalwork & welding, soldering, basic electrical, basic plumbing, carpentry, tools, machinery, etc are all things I have pretty good knowledge and experience with.

    I thought sammy's reply to my question was extremely helpful, and not at all condescending, and he did not attempt to sell me anything on an allegedly non commercial website. I liked that. If he was located near me I would call him to do work for me in a heartbeat.

  12. #42
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
    I jumped into this discussion because I recently purchased two bladder tanks to hopefully ease the cycling on my pump while watering.
    I'm a DIY'er when it comes to wells & plumbing, but I have extensive mechanical experience. Metalwork & welding, soldering, basic electrical, basic plumbing, carpentry, tools, machinery, etc are all things I have pretty good knowledge and experience with.

    I thought sammy's reply to my question was extremely helpful, and not at all condescending, and he did not attempt to sell me anything on an allegedly non commercial website. I liked that. If he was located near me I would call him to do work for me in a heartbeat.
    Since you already said your larger tank(s) were installed, how could anyone sell you something? I don't sell pumps, tanks or CSVs and you jumped into someone's thread and I didn't attempt to sell you or him anything. I'm the one that answered your question first. You then said you couldn't understand what I meant and I attempted to clarify. And if you hired Sammy or anyone else to do well, pump or tank etc. work at your house, you wouldn't be a DIYer.

    Now I think you took offense at my comment "I thought what I said was self explanatory" which was not meant to be condescending; it was a statement as to what I thought.

    Here is my first reply:
    Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    You should be aware of the fact that the larger draw down means you pull a low producing well down farther than with a smaller tank and, you take all that additional water out of the well all at once. That can cause water quality and other problems.

    ***********
    Gary,
    Would you mind elaborating on that?
    I plumbed in larger capacity tanks to my system, but they will only service my outside hose bibs. I have a deep well, around 700 feet, which produces in the 2-3 gpm range. I don't know what the static water level is. I plan to only allow the pump to fill the larger tanks while watering.
    I'm curious what other problems I have set myself up for.
    TIA
    *******************
    What I told you is true.

    When your pump comes on to refill these tanks, it will run until they are full and shut off unless your water use gpm is equal to or greater than the pumps delivery gpm. That is true. Now compare how far down that pulls the well to a smaller tank that refills at half the volume of the larger tank. The larger will pull it down roughly twice as far than the smaller tank has ever pulled it down. That's true, and that can cause water quality problems like in Sammy's video because the water flows into the well faster with no resistance and washes out the area as compared to when the area is under water. That is true.

    Sammy didn't agree with any of that.

    And although it's too late for you, a CSV and a small tank costs much less, takes up much less space and is much easier and quicker to install and is the best choice FOR THE OP and OTHERS reading this thread now and into the distant future. That's also true and even Sammy agreed in the first reply after you asked me to explain my previous comment. And anyone with a couple wrenches and the desire can install a CSV; and I'm sure you agree with that but Sammy says the person should call a PRO to install it.

    You've been given very good advice and you don't get that from Joe down the street or you wouldn't be here asking us pros for advice and for you to think we shouldn't sell something for our time and effort and knowledge we freely donate.... well I think that's a bit selfish and idealistic but if you want noncommercial, you should have gone to a government or university web site and taken your chances with amateurs.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  13. #43

    Default

    Thank you Gary,

    This time you did answer my question to you when you said:

    "The larger will pull it down roughly twice as far than the smaller tank has ever pulled it down. That's true, and that can cause water quality problems like in Sammy's video because the water flows into the well faster with no resistance and washes out the area as compared to when the area is under water."

    I did not catch anything about the washout problem in your earlier post. You only told me the water level would go down.

    I'm not trying to ruffle feathers & egos here. I just kind of thought your slam to sammy was uncalled for.

    I'll go back to lurking now.

    Thanks for your free advice.

  14. #44
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
    Thank you Gary,
    You're welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
    This time you did answer my question...
    Great, and yet I still can't see what you couldn't understand about my first answer;
    Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
    You should be aware of the fact that the larger draw down means you pull a low producing well down farther than with a smaller tank and, you take all that additional water out of the well all at once. That can cause water quality and other problems.
    ***********

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
    I did not catch anything about the washout problem in your earlier post. You only told me the water level would go down.
    Sorry, Sammy had not posted the link to his video yet but, IIRC you did view it and comment on it before asking me to elaborate. Maybe not until after but I did elaborate and you still couldn't get it until my 3rd reply. I promise I'll do better next time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
    I'm not trying to ruffle feathers & egos here. I just kind of thought your slam to sammy was uncalled for.
    I see , but obviously you missed the fact that Sammy has been slamming everything I say here and on a number of other forums for at least a year.

    Now I see he says he's leaving. I'm sorry he chose to do that, and yet I'll enjoy the loss of his constant personal attacks. Which he is doing again in his whiny good bye.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  15. #45

    Default

    Post #19 I asked you to elaborate, because I wanted to know what the problem with lowering the level was.

    I only wanted to know what problems you were eluding to in #18.

    In post number #21 you again told me I was lowering the water level.

    In #23 I asked again what the logic behind lowering levels causing problems.
    Nobody came out & said "cave in".

    Excuse me for being so thickheaded as to not read between the lines, but I truly did not get it

    Sorry my quoting skills leave a bit to be desired, I type like S#!+

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •