(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need some advice on augmenting a free flowing spring

And since you are a licensed and Certified well driller and advertise doing 2", 4" wells on your web site, I thought you might be able to help Catfish by giving him some ideas at least and instead, you said: I'm done with this thread. And yet here you are with no help again but obviously you forget that in my first reply I said I don't know 2 or 4" hand done wells.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post

Here's what I suggest you should try before a pit and a trash pump.

http://sugarmountainhome.com/homesteading/waterwell.htm
    THank you gary, I liked the site. My only reservation about the driven well point/screen system is rate and depth. I will be at about the 30 mark and I don't know much about pumps except that a centerfugal pump wont work that deep. If I use a two inch point and pipe will I have enough room to instal a packer venutri thingamajig with the two pipes down hole. Also if I can what would that do to the gpm in that pipe volume size? by the way I found a wire wraped 10 slot 60 inch well point from bennet supply. Is that good? My Idea of the packer venturi is limited. I am assuming that the packer some how seals off the casing thus causing a syphon affect between the injector and supply line?
    Thanks Catfish

I only thought of the pit and pump to wash down something larger than 4" so I could pull that and then instal a 4" casing and screen so as to be able to put a conventional submerged pump with higher volume as well as the lesser draw down caused by the smaller 2" pipe. so what kind of volume is possible with the two inch driven with 60 inches of 10 slot well screen say driven oh 10 ft below the top of the standing
    water table?

I sent catfish a private message and told him what he needs to do. Maybe you can tell him how to install his well properly.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Previous member

The best thing to do is consult a local driller that can tell you what to expect when you try to drill this well. There are many methods of well drilling. It all depends on what kind of material you are drilling in. It may be all sand and it may be several different kinds of layers including but not limited to clay with many rocks in it.

This is why I don't give out drilling advice on this or my forum. I did a sticky about driving in 1-1/4" wells with galvanized pipe because this is one of the most popular ways to do a shallow well. But I also strongly advise consulting with a local driller, because he is the only one that will know what to expect.

You can't wash holes in rock and you can't auger in soft dry sand. It just keeps caving in. The right method is the right way to drill for a given area.

bob...

I agree with speedbump about contacting local drillers.

You can have a well augered in no problem. Our rig has 10,000 lbs. of tourqe and can rip right through soft and dry sand, or any other type of unconsolidated material. As long as we can get the rig to the proposed location, that is how i install unconsolidated screened wells. I will auger down to the desired depth to where i think the well will produce the most water, pull the augers out, and start setting the pipe and screen. Because of hydrostatic pressure, the hole will cave beyond the static water level, but once the screen is set to where it caved, i will push the screen with the head of the rig the rest of the way. Sometimes if the material is too tight,the well cant be pushed, so i will will drive it the rest of the way, using a sand line, and weight. The weight weighs 200lbs, 3" in diameter and is about 5' long. It is placed at the bottom of the screen and driven using the cat head on the rig. Hollow core augers can be used as well but they are much more difficult to handle.

If catfish has the sandy material in his yard and it is indigeneous to the area, there might be well companies around with auger rigs that can zip a well in no problem. Once that is done, as i explained to him in a message, he could save big money by buying the pumping equipment online and doing his own installation. Trying to install anything bigger than a 2" well by hand, in my opinion is out of the question for a DIY. If he wants to drive his own well point he will need to determine where the static water level is, to determine what size to drive. But i still say call a local driller like speedbump mentioned!

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com
    Last edited by sammyhydro11; 03-13-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Previous member

Well said Sammy, a two inch well for a DIY'er is about the limit. And it would have to be a driven or washed well. Drilling out casing in an aquifer and setting a screen would be too much to handle by hand.

bob...

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    I only thought of the pit and pump to wash down something larger than 4" so I could pull that and then instal a 4" casing and screen so as to be able to put a conventional submerged pump with higher volume as well as the lesser draw down caused by the smaller 2" pipe. so what kind of volume is possible with the two inch driven with 60 inches of 10 slot well screen say driven oh 10 ft below the top of the standing
    water table?

I can't believe this thread. You need to know your limitations and hire a pro ... DIY and a 4" casing ... you're kidding right? At least hire the guy to professionally drill the hole and then you can DIY the mechanicals. It is not worth endangering your family's health to try and save money...not to mention all the time you will squander.

Your right about people needing to understand their limitations with water wells. But Catfish is here because he doesn't understand the difficulties or the proper way of installing wells. It's good that we can help him out with it all.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Catfish, the link I gave you shows how to do a 3" by building a Sand Sucker. Speedbump Bob has 3" submersible pumps... But I'm fairly sure that on an external hard disc I have, I have all the instructions and pictures that Phil sent me about 1999 when he did his in his yard. Since you have all sand, building a 4" sand sucker is as easy as building a 3". And I'm thinking you aren't getting a drilling rig close enough to a 30' deep ravine but maybe, but that is not what you want anyway.

I see you posted on that other forum http://www.voy.com/102731/ and I'm not sure I agree with Fred but he knows hand driven wells better than anyone that I've seen. Just remember that a spring is ground water (under pressure) that finds its way to the surface. I used to post there many years ago. I see he suggests a spring (box), that I tend to agree with as the easiest and guaranteed source of water but it wouldn't hurt to try your well idea, and you have a backhoe and water in the ravine to help do it.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by 99k View Post
    I can't believe this thread. You need to know your limitations and hire a pro ... DIY and a 4" casing ... you're kidding right? At least hire the guy to professionally drill the hole and then you can DIY the mechanicals. It is not worth endangering your family's health to try and save money...not to mention all the time you will squander.

Sir this country was founded by men like me who didn't alow limitations to be a word in their vocabulary. Followers that are content to follow the status quo or limit themselves by wanting to be coddled in there existance voted for the big eared shame to the framers that is a squander of their time sir.

Find another post sir I do not value your oppinion or any information you may bring to this effort. Thank you sir. Catfish

people I call on you for help in this matter: For a husband of his property to be able to provide every need for his family without someone else doing it for him. I thank you for this help. We will come to a time where the only help we will be able to get is the advise from our neighbors. Once again thank you neighbors. Catfish

Ps. I know that your thoughts and insights have already saved me $ and time.

Dittos.

Here's something I found last night that works somewhat like a sand sucker and would be used to 'wash' the 4" down;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U229vv-McNw

Here's another I just found looking up to link above;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-pmZ...eature=related

Thanks Gary, I will check that out