need some advice on augmenting a free flowing spring

Users who are viewing this thread

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with speedbump about contacting local drillers.

You can have a well augered in no problem. Our rig has 10,000 lbs. of tourqe and can rip right through soft and dry sand, or any other type of unconsolidated material. As long as we can get the rig to the proposed location, that is how i install unconsolidated screened wells. I will auger down to the desired depth to where i think the well will produce the most water, pull the augers out, and start setting the pipe and screen. Because of hydrostatic pressure, the hole will cave beyond the static water level, but once the screen is set to where it caved, i will push the screen with the head of the rig the rest of the way. Sometimes if the material is too tight,the well cant be pushed, so i will will drive it the rest of the way, using a sand line, and weight. The weight weighs 200lbs, 3" in diameter and is about 5' long. It is placed at the bottom of the screen and driven using the cat head on the rig. Hollow core augers can be used as well but they are much more difficult to handle.

If catfish has the sandy material in his yard and it is indigeneous to the area, there might be well companies around with auger rigs that can zip a well in no problem. Once that is done, as i explained to him in a message, he could save big money by buying the pumping equipment online and doing his own installation. Trying to install anything bigger than a 2" well by hand, in my opinion is out of the question for a DIY. If he wants to drive his own well point he will need to determine where the static water level is, to determine what size to drive. But i still say call a local driller like speedbump mentioned!

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Well said Sammy, a two inch well for a DIY'er is about the limit. And it would have to be a driven or washed well. Drilling out casing in an aquifer and setting a screen would be too much to handle by hand.

bob...

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I only thought of the pit and pump to wash down something larger than 4" so I could pull that and then instal a 4" casing and screen so as to be able to put a conventional submerged pump with higher volume as well as the lesser draw down caused by the smaller 2" pipe. so what kind of volume is possible with the two inch driven with 60 inches of 10 slot well screen say driven oh 10 ft below the top of the standing
water table? :)

I can't believe this thread. You need to know your limitations and hire a pro ... DIY and a 4" casing ... you're kidding right? At least hire the guy to professionally drill the hole and then you can DIY the mechanicals. It is not worth endangering your family's health to try and save money...not to mention all the time you will squander.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your right about people needing to understand their limitations with water wells. But Catfish is here because he doesn't understand the difficulties or the proper way of installing wells. It's good that we can help him out with it all.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Catfish, the link I gave you shows how to do a 3" by building a Sand Sucker. Speedbump Bob has 3" submersible pumps... But I'm fairly sure that on an external hard disc I have, I have all the instructions and pictures that Phil sent me about 1999 when he did his in his yard. Since you have all sand, building a 4" sand sucker is as easy as building a 3". And I'm thinking you aren't getting a drilling rig close enough to a 30' deep ravine but maybe, but that is not what you want anyway.

I see you posted on that other forum http://www.voy.com/102731/ and I'm not sure I agree with Fred but he knows hand driven wells better than anyone that I've seen. Just remember that a spring is ground water (under pressure) that finds its way to the surface. I used to post there many years ago. I see he suggests a spring (box), that I tend to agree with as the easiest and guaranteed source of water but it wouldn't hurt to try your well idea, and you have a backhoe and water in the ravine to help do it.

catfish

Reaction score
I can't believe this thread. You need to know your limitations and hire a pro ... DIY and a 4" casing ... you're kidding right? At least hire the guy to professionally drill the hole and then you can DIY the mechanicals. It is not worth endangering your family's health to try and save money...not to mention all the time you will squander.

Sir this country was founded by men like me who didn't alow limitations to be a word in their vocabulary. Followers that are content to follow the status quo or limit themselves by wanting to be coddled in there existance voted for the big eared shame to the framers that is a squander of their time sir.

Find another post sir I do not value your oppinion or any information you may bring to this effort. Thank you sir. Catfish

catfish

Reaction score
people I call on you for help in this matter: For a husband of his property to be able to provide every need for his family without someone else doing it for him. I thank you for this help. We will come to a time where the only help we will be able to get is the advise from our neighbors. Once again thank you neighbors. :) Catfish

Ps. I know that your thoughts and insights have already saved me $ and time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks