Neoprene gaskets drying out?

Users who are viewing this thread

drainwhisperer

Reaction score
Any ideas on the following?

We take care of a residence building with about 250 wall hung toilets. They all have neoprene gaskets. The building was recently emptied of occupants and now about 8 months later the toilets were being flushed periodically to avoid the traps drying out. Now the toilets have started leaking from the neoprene gaskets. Has anyone had similar problems with this?

Any ideas are welcome!

Drainwhisperer

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I ran into this before they thought they had neoprene gaskets but where just plan rubber which do tend to lose their resilience. I always rest them with the Zurn Neo- Seal they seem to retain their resilience much longer.

ZUR-NEO-SEAL.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gaskets

Neoprene is not very friendly when they are allowed to dry out. Periodic exposure to water seems to keep them pliable, but once it stops they will dry out, shrink, distort, and then get stiff and hard.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
I always liked the wax rings with the neoprene gasket inside of them. You don't have to woory about them drying out.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
That's strange. The wax with the embedded material, it is a version of felt not neoprene, are labeled "FOR use with wall hung toilets".

And every wall hung water closet I seen hung with the No.3 wax ring that some handyman used leaked. This quote is from Harvey's web site "With Polyethylene Flange fits 3" & 4" lines, for FLOOR & most WALL BOWLS" I guess the key word there is most. wall bowls. They do sell a Dura -Cell gasket for Zurn carriers. http://www.wmharvey.com/prod/cat3/spon_rub/dura.php

I still have old oiled Felt gaskets for urinals and a few for wall hung water closets.Picked them up at a garage sale got em all for a buck.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
That's strange. The wax with the embedded material, it is a version of felt not neoprene, are labeled "FOR use with wall hung toilets".

I just reread your post. I see you said the felt with wax. again them are for most wall hung water closets. But yes they do work well since it is the felt instead of that thin rubber gasket that the Harvey's No 3 wax rings use.

8507709_Detail.jpg
Verses
61ZNOV5eCL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

drainwhisperer

Reaction score
Thanks!

To SeweRatz, HJ, and mattbee24,

Thanks for your replies.

A thought for SeweRatz: Since you've been using "Zurn Neo- Seal", have you had any problems like the one I describe? Specifically, with wall-hung toilets that will not be in use. That was an interesting thought about not really being neoprene. I thought the material we were using is neoprene, but now I'm not sure. I'm going to buy the Zurn product you mention and try it out.

Thanks again to all!

drainwhisperer :cool:

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
drainwhisperer, ever since I started to use the Zurn Neo-Seal I never had a leak, even at places that have been vacant for years on end, then brought back into service later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks