chlorinator tablets

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
I was told (indirectly) by the health department that I need to buy and use the chlorinator tablets in an upright 6"pvc riser near my septic tank drainfield. No problem, I went and found them, bought them. There was no instruction in how often I add a tablet to the riser. Do I do this every week/ month etc?

And is the purpose to clean effluent water for the environment or to keep bacteria out of your nearby water well? or both?

please advise!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I've heard of septic systems that use chlorine but I haven't heard as to how much or how often... The people to ask is the septic system guys, or the health department guy that told you do it, he should know how much chlorine.

What was the reason you contacted the department of health, or why did they contact you?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Only time they tell people here with septics to use a chlorinater system is the ones with the aeration tank which when the water leaves the tank to an open site gravel bed. The old traditional septic tanks with leach Fields still rely on the bio-mat to filter the water which chlorine would kill off the bio-mat.

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
it was a letter I received...

thats why I said "indirectly", I received a letter from the health dept saying that data in the permit said my septic system had a chlorinator that is supposed to have tablets applied "routinely", it was a reminder I guess, in the form of a technical bulletin. I called the number and all I got was a secretary whom I left a message with. Its been four months now and no call back. So I went to the local supply store which by the way, was not quite local but the next county over, and I bought my $98 bucket of tablets. I barely remembered the guy we bought the house from, among many other things we talked about that day, showed me the riser. I just wonder if the tablets will clear up the "total bacteria" positive test result from my water well sample. (It tested negative for e.coli.)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why haven't you gone to the health department and talked to someone besides the office help that answers the phone. Your message either didn't get to the person or was ignored. He works for you, insist on seeing him.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks