Help me understand and improve my system

Users who are viewing this thread

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Don't know much about wells in general, ex-city water person here.

I'll let the pics explain what I have and ask quesions below.

486753063_hvkiV-L.jpg

486753772_Vn6Cz-L.jpg

model wx-302 charged to 38psi
486753476_N2rH6-L.jpg

model wx-252 charged to 30 psi
486753564_22XdK-L.jpg

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
normally gauge reads ~40 psi
486753902_Jpcos-L.jpg

Hope this is right side up by the time someone reads this. Host is slow doing the rotation.
486753648_XLRjz-L.jpg

Don't really know what these guys do, other than it has something to do with regeneration. Last time the well guy was in, he dumped a bucket of softner(?) into a larger tank and adjusted the dial as I told him we were going through a lot of salt. Now I dump a bag about every 2 weeks.

Larger tank
486753999_jdnoF-L.jpg

Smaller tank
486754539_3Q2xR-L.jpg

Now, questions

1. Why do we have two tanks?
2. Why are two tanks charged to different pressure (or rather labeled as such) and what does it mean for overall pressure and switch?
3. Can the pressure be increased and if so, how?
4. What is the GPM rate of my pump? Is there a way to tell from the specs of pump/well?
5. Is there a good read on overall well operation?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think you want to know why two blue tanks not two tan tanks. I would imagine either one went bad and someone didn't want to drag it out full of water or they thought you needed more drawdown to protect the pump. Are either of these two tanks extremely heavy?

The label on the tank tells all about the Franklin motor but nothing about the pump.

bob...

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
I did mean the two blue tanks. I have not tried to move them.

The tan ones are (I think) neutralizer and softner.

What's the Sta-Rite? Is that the pump? I can't find a manual for that model number. And what's the motor then?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Why do you have two WellXTrol pressure tanks? Because some guys like to 'store' more water if the well is allow producing well or to prevent the well pump from starting frequently.

Both of them should have the same air pressure precharge, which should be 1-2 psi less than the turn the pump on switch setting; I.E. 30on/50off gets 29-28 psi air pressure with no water in the tanks.

There is a Sticky post at the top of this forum and IIRC tells you hpw to change the pressure switch settings but see below.

If you mean the other two tanks, you have a filter, probably an acid neutralizing filter for low pH acidic water and a softener because of hard water, iron, manganese and the hardness the AN filter adds as it buffers the acidity. You have Fleck 5600 control valves; softener is metered and the filter is a time clock model. Which one of those does the water line from the pressure tanks go to first? It should be the AN filter; that has the plug hole in the curved part of the top of the tank.

Unless you took those pictures at 1 AM and then 2 AM, the time of day is wrong on the control valves and, the softener was in a regeneration. That incorrect time will allow backwashing and regeneration at other times than 1 and 2 AM when they should do it. That will cause low flow while they are using water and the water quality will be reduced because you'll get raw water then until they are done. The filter you lie to and set it one hour ahead so the correct time of day on the softener, so it is done backwashing before the softener want to use water at 2 AM.

To find the gpm of the pump you need to look up the model number on the manufacturer's web site or the pump's manual. Or someone here that can read the gpm in the model number can tell you.

Well operation... A well is a hole in the ground meant and designed to collect and store water for future use. Now our self proclaimed well expert here, and maybe a couple of followers, might say highly engineered and properly designed, but it is a hole in the ground and there is next to nothing about it that is sanitary. You have a submersible pump in the well. When it comes on, water is moved from the well into the house and some or all of the recovery rate gpm of the well enters the well and fills it to the water table level in your yard. That is called the static water level. Usually that level will fall as you use water IF the recovery rate is less than the gpm you are taking out of the well.

IF you pump the well down to the inlet of the pump, the water stops and that is called a dry well. That is bad for a pump and she who you love'n admire and must obey, but it gives you a weekend project if you're lucky and it happens on a Friday night or Sat. morning. Otherwise you may get to take a day or two off work or just write a big check to a well driller or pump guy to fix it for you; unless you find a plumber that is capable and willing to do it for you (most aren't). Now some guys, actually most guys, that are handier than handsome types come here to find out how to DIY and if that's you, beware that some here don't want you to do that and will tell you to call the professionals in your area. psst... ask them if they can vouch for the local guys' knowledge, expertise, character and workmanship, along with if they know he doesn't beat his wife so he'll be around later if he screws it up. But remember this, if you want it done right, learn how to do it and become a DIY.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Sorry I missed the sticker above the Franklin sticker. The pump is a 7 gallon per minute pump.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Even using a magnifier I can't see what it says on top of the switch. It is either a Square D or a knockoff of one.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think you mean the settings of the switch rather than the name of the manufacturer.... I think the name should be inside the cover or on the outside top of the cover but they all work the same.

Run water while watching the gauge, when the switch clicks, note the gauge reading, that is the cut in setting. Shut the water off and watch the gauge, when the switch clicks, the gauge tells you the cut out setting.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant 30/50, 40/60 etc? It is a Square D

Gary, just saw your reply, thanks, I'll check tonight

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks