(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: My boiler regularly needs refilling.

Default My boiler regularly needs refilling.

My mum had central heating installed a couple of years ago but the system always seems to need refilling regularly, every couple of weeks or so. I can't see any signs of a leak anywhere so I don't really know what is going on. How often should the system need refilling?

The installer didn't give us any information about how to work the system. In fact, my mum received a government grant to have the heating installed and it was condemned before we switched it on - because the installers didn't attach a flue!!

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    . How often should the system need refilling?
    You will probably need to top it up 1 time per year. Any more than that, its a leak.
    It could be inside the walls, near a valve, T&P valve, (Under floor piping . This probably doesn't apply to you). Could also be leaking slightly in the boiler (this water would boil quickly and evaporate without any signs of water being there.)

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Eventually, there will likely be a mineral deposit buildup where it is leaking, and it may be easier to find.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks everybody! It looks like I have got a leak somewhere then! I thought I might have.... I will go on a leak hunt at the weekend!

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

It's probably a leak and one of the first places to look for it is where you top it up. Some models have a check valve to add water to the system and this can weep.