Inactive pipe in my sump well? And some other questions..

Users who are viewing this thread

affeking

Reaction score
Hey all -

I have a couple of questions regarding the sump well in my basement. I've also attached a photo to help display what I am describing.

The first issue is that the well has two pipes coming into it - one is the white PVC at the top of the photo and the other is a black corrugated pipe that you see towards the bottom. The oddity here is that, while plenty of water comes in through the PVC, I have never seen any come out of the black pipe. Any thoughts on what its purpose is or if I should be concerned? My water heater vents into a small hole in the floor, but that does not connect to anything. There is also a separate well for sewage drainage that the washing machine drains into. So, I'm out of ideas. If it is a drain tile - why is it a different type of pipe?

Next question is regarding my backup pump. I had to use the altrenate mounting method of placing it above the main pump, because the main pump was bolted down to some type of plate I didn't want to mess with and there was not enough room to sit the other pump down next to it. The concern is that the backup is actually just above the drain tile. This would mean the tiles would have to fill completely before the backup took over. Is this safe? I assume it is, as long as there are no cracks in the tiles...but it still concerns me.

Last thing is lifespan on the main pump. We have some drainage issues that result in a lot of water coming in - this thing kicks off every 15 seconds for up to a day or two when we get a lot of rain. I was considering replacing it, but I did notice that it is some type of Zoeller - and it kept up with the flow when we had about 6" of rain in two days a few months back. I hear these pumps are pretty much good for life - thoughts? I have no idea how old it is, as it was here when I moved in 2.5 years ago.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks