What stops a shower valve trim from leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Grant

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post here. Thanks for all the great info on this site.

I have a question that may seem rather silly... I've just finished my first Kerdi shower and am now installing an American Standard Princeton shower trim kit.

Here is a picture:
princeton.jpg

Here is the schematic:
princetonparts.jpg

What stops water from leaking into the end of the cap, part 1. The escutcheon has a seal where the cap passes through it, but the opening where the handle joins is not sealed (it's covered by the bell shape end of the handle, but not sealed) Any water landing on cap could could run down and into the opening. Hope that makes sense.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Have a nice weekend,
Jeff

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most brands seem to have a small gasket on the escutchen where the sleeve goes through. You could make such a gasket from some peel and stick weather strip foam

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Nothing will stop it from going in there, if it ever got that far, but what then? The place where it attaches to the body would stop any water from going any further.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What stops water from leaking into the end of the cap, part 1. The escutcheon has a seal where the cap passes through it, but the opening where the handle joins is not sealed (it's covered by the bell shape end of the handle, but not sealed) Any water landing on cap could could run down and into the opening. Hope that makes sense.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Have a nice weekend,
Jeff

Crossed fingers?

Sorry to hear you picked Am. Std...
It's probably the least favored mixer among us plumbers here...

It is unlikely that it would as it usually doesn't get around corners...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks