P Trap for Drain and shower - Basement Bath

Users who are viewing this thread

SeattleSean

Reaction score
I want to use one P Trap for my shower and floor drain for a basement bathroom. Would this work? Also, I have a 3" double wye. Should I replace this and use two single wyes? I wold have to put a toilet, shower, and drain on one line. Any help would be appreciated.

005.jpg

007.jpg

Plumbing.01a.jpg

153.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Before you waste any more time...
I'd say you have saved yourself enough money by doing all the concrete cutting and digging...
It is now time to call a plumber.
Your plan at this point requires considerable revision that would involve completely tossing the old.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The short answer to your question is NO. Each must have its own trap, and the traps must be directly under the fixture. Heed Redwood's advice and hire a plumber. You are headed for problems that will only get worse if you plow ahead on your own.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

All you have told us is what you WANT to do, nothing about how you actually plan to do it. The answer to whether everthing can go on one pipe is YES. But we cannot tell if YOU would do it correctly. One thing we can say is that you cannot connect the shower and floor drain into one trap, and even if you could it would not be the way you show it.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The short answer to your question is NO. Each must have its own trap, and the traps must be directly under the fixture. Heed Redwood's advice and hire a plumber. You are headed for problems that will only get worse if you plow ahead on your own.
Good advice!

SeattleSean

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I am going to redo it getting rid of the horizontal double T-Y. I realize this after I saw water streaming across and coming up the other end of the Y. I received previous advice saying it was "ok" to do. I am going to finish this.

(1) I am going to remove the double T-Y and replace with 2 single Ys.

(2) Add one P-Trap for the drain and one for the shower

(3) Install a section for two no hub couplings and a clean out T with a meter box for easy access. I cannot connect to the out pipe (the one that goes to the sewer out of the house) because the pipe is out of round and will not fit a regular coupling. I did not want to bury these no hub fittings in concrete.

(4) Also, can I modify the main stack and put in two 45s to move the stack over about 7 inches? The modification to the stack would mean that it would no longer be straight vertical. Is this 'ok' if it is two slight 45 degree changes?

I want to finish this myself. It's a good way to learn. The reason I thought that the one P Trap would work for the shower is that I saw a schematic in a book that depicted two sinks using one P Trap, so I thought that the drain and shower would work.

Please advise. Thanks

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Please pull a Seattle plumbing permit and have an inspector look at this.

(1) I am going to remove the double T-Y and replace with 2 single Ys.

It's better to use separate Wye's on the horizontal, then you can "tip" them for the needed grade.
A double wye on the side never works, they need to be on the vertical.

(2) Add one P-Trap for the drain and one for the shower

And each will need to be vented to prevent siphoning.
These vents can tie together six inches above the highest flood level of the fixtures being used. If the lav counter is 32", then it would be 38" before the could connect together.

(3) Install a section for two no hub couplings and a clean out T with a meter box for easy access. I cannot connect to the out pipe (the one that goes to the sewer out of the house) because the pipe is out of round and will not fit a regular coupling. I did not want to bury these no hub fittings in concrete.

(4) Also, can I modify the main stack and put in two 45s to move the stack over about 7 inches? The modification to the stack would mean that it would no longer be straight vertical. Is this 'ok' if it is two slight 45 degree changes?

You can move the main stack using 45's

I want to finish this myself. It's a good way to learn. The reason I thought that the one P Trap would work for the shower is that I saw a schematic in a book that depicted two sinks using one P Trap, so I thought that the drain and shower would work.

What works for a kitchen sink with two bowls, is not at all like a floor drain and shower.
They each need their own trap, and each trap will need a vent.
All fittings below the flood level will need to be waste fittings.

Please pull a Seattle plumbing permit and have an inspector look at this.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular]Step 1. The “pre-glue†inspection (optional). Install the drain waste and vent system but do not glue the pipes and fittings. Call the inspection request line and make a “pre-glue†inspection request. The inspector will need to see the whole system. If the inspector finds the installation to be code compliant, you can then glue the system together. If there are corrections identified by the inspector, the corrections must be made prior to scheduling further inspections.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular]Step 2. Test the plumbing system for leaks. Test the drain, waste and vent systems and the water distribution system. The inspector neither performs nor provides the means for conducting the test of the plumbing system.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]To test the drain, waste and vent system, make sure that all pipes and fittings are properly glued. Plug all openings tightly and look the system over carefully to make sure all is ready for the test. Fill the system with water to the roof (or at least 10-feet high for a groundwork) and check the entire system for leaks.[/FONT]​

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

There is nothing inherently wrong with a double combo, we use them wherever necessary, but what you have is not one nor is it a double Y, If you had water "streaming across" to the other side it was either because you have other problems with the drain system or it was the back to back fixture fitting you used. You still have not told us HOW you are running the drainage pipes nor how you intend to vent these various items. THAT is where you can run into problems. Problems too serious to correct once the room is finished and they make their appearance. It is nice to want to do it yourself, but you should learn BEFORE you do it, not while or after doing it.

SeattleSean

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

(1) So, I can't tie the 3 vents together below slab and then run up the single vent pipe? If not, can I tie the shower and the floor drain below slab then run up a single vent pipe?

(2) Should I leave the two no hub fittings below the slab and fill in with concrete or build out a meter box for access?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

You CANNOT tie ANY vents together under the floor. If you did you would create a secondary drainage system which would operate when the drain lines plugged up. And THAT would create a whole new set of problems. Especially when it also finally plugged up. And THAT is why we, and YOU, cannot tie any vents together until you are at least 6" above the overflow level of the fixture, and in most cases it also has to be a minimum of 42" above the floor incase you decide to connect a kitchen sink to the system some day.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
dwv

Unless you have some sort of affection for it and want to gaze at it periodically, bury it. It was not technically the proper connector, but it will work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks