(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: changing old shower handle trim

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default changing old shower handle trim

    I am updating a bathroom from the 70s. I have changed the showerhead to a hand-helf variety, but also want to change the trim on the handle. I bought something that looked like it would work, but it does not. The original trim was a 7" diameter Moen with a knob with "crystal" center. The screwholes are 1 1/8" apart. (The Danko that I bought has wider screwholes.)

    I'm switching everything to oil rubbed bronze (anything close would be fine), so that complicates it a bit. I hope I do not need to change the valve itself.

    I'm planning to buy a Tasagi Japanese style tub that is designed to fit into the kind of shower stall I have, so it would be even better if I could figure out a way to lower the handle so I could reach it while seated in from the tub, but I'll settle for keeping it where it is and just getting it to match.

    Thanks for your help.


  2. #2
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    San Diego


    There is NO "generic" shower valve trim. ( But there are aftermarket, brand specific items available.). You MUST get trim made for your EXACT brand AND model.

    Now, Moen is one of the most widely found brands. You must specify if yours is a pull-out type or just a turn-type. Moen themselves, and many aftermarket companies make trim for your valve, including in the bronze. Take your parts to a good plumbing supply and they will have what you need,

  3. #3

    Default shower valve trim

    Thanks. I'll go to a plumbing supply store and see what I can find. I had hoped to be able to buy something online, but that does not seem to be possible.

  4. #4
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    It should be possible if you know the exact model.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  5. #5
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    Default Moen

    A 70's valve is either Dial-Cet or MoenTrol, both used the same trim but I am not sure if the new MoenTrol which is available from Moen in the finish desired has the horizontal or diagonal holes.

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts