Narrow width TOTO toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ken1

Reaction score
I live in an NYC apartment and we are renovating the bathroom. We're trying to maximize the space and have the vanity coming up really close beside the toilet. I don't think the tank should be an issue (they look pretty thin), but I'm worried about our legs hitting the side of the vanity when seated. Can you recommend a good toilet with a somewhat narrow bowl width?

I've been looking at the Toto's because they are so highly reviewed. Is it true that the Drake is less wide (bowl) than the Ultramax? Any other models I should consider?

(PS - we have a shelf over the back of the toilet, so overall height can't be too high (Shelf is at 32").

thanks!

ms964-terrylove-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The best resource it to just check out www.totousa.com and review the spec sheets for the toilets you are interested in.

Keep in mind, the building code requires a MINIMUM of 15" to BOTH sides of the centerline of a toilet, so the actual width of the toilet isn't that big a deal, as pretty much ANY toilet should fit within that centerline minimum width of 30" (or more, if it isn't centered).

As to height of the tank, one-piece toilets generally have a lower tank top height than 2-piece toilets (but cost more). While a toilet doesn't require all that much maintenance, it would be a major pain to have to remove it from the flange to say change the flapper valve. You may want to look into ways to either hinge or remove the shelf for that eventuality.

Ken1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jim - I didn't know the 15" code requirement. I'll check that as soon as I get home to make sure we'll meet it. Assuming most of the 1piece Toto's will work, is the Ultramax the best choice? I'm just looking for something simple, elongated, and with a soft closing lid. Also - is Cotton white the best color to go with white marble tile?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The Ultramax is very highly rated and popular.

I chose the Gwyneth myself because I like Toto's "Double Cyclone" bowl wash system - it's available on Guinevere, Soiree, and Gwyneth.
ms964-terrylove-01.jpg

TOTO Soiree pedestal lav, faucet and toilet suite

Last edited by a moderator:

am

Reaction score
clearance around a toilet; home remodel

As a newbie to this forum, my search hit this mar.2009 post with the toilet next to a pedestal sink. May I add my similar question to it?

Is there a link to the clearance code, with more clarification?
I can see that the 2 x 15" = 30" width is meant to accommodate a big guy at shoulder level, wishing to move his arms; and maybe meant for breathing room to vertical walls on either side.

The image shown has plenty of space, other then the edge of the sink.

I currently have 30.5" between wall on one side and vanity countertop on the other side, one more inch to vanity side wall. I'm putting in a new vanity with frameless box, need 1" filler on other side of box for new door to fully open; 47" vanity box would be special cost. So I'd rather buy a 48" standard vanity, move over by 1", which would leave 29.5" from top of counter to wall on other side of toilet. May a toilet paper bar at seat level violate the clearance?

Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet bar is expected. They are talking about cabinet or wall.
Most inspectors on a remodel with let you fudge that much.
Unless it's new construction in Bellevue.

am

Reaction score
The toilet bar is expected. They are talking about cabinet or wall.
Most inspectors on a remodel with let you fudge that much.
Unless it's new construction in Bellevue.
Thanks Terry. It's a 30 year old house bathroom remodel ... in Bellevue ... so just to be sure on the toilet clearance: proposing distance from wall to vanity cabinet sidewall 30.5", but wall to Corian countertop edge 29.5". Hate to fuss over 1", but a 47" cabinet is a special modification of a standard 48", and the drawer guides may no longer fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks