Flange slightly lower than finished floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Gramps

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a question about my flange that is sitting 1/8" below my finished floor.

I have extension rings that can increase the height to above the finished floor

I want to know if I am better off using 2 wax rings, or using these plastic extension pieces

Attachments

• 100_2850a.jpg
    100_2850a.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 449

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat - getting vinyl taken out and tile put in.

I think I will try the Fluidmaster waxless system - some of the pros on this site like it, some others prefer wax.

Will let the pros chime in on the issue of 2 wax rings vs. spacers (I suspect most will say go with spacers).

fluidmaster_on_toilet.jpg

If you use the Fluidmaster waxless seal, push it onto the bottom of the bowl first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I`ve used the stack flanges many times with good results.Thick wax ring would
work just as well in you case too.I allways used wax between the stack flange
and exsiting flange as the caulk that comes the kit does not adhere well to
old wax coated flange.Make sure you screw it down.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You *should* ensure that the flange is properly attached. I don't see any screws in the flange and 3 or 4 tapcons would be a good idea.

Reaction score
Website
www.sandpiperplumbing.com
With only an 1/8th inch to deal with, I'd use a Jumbo wax ring with a horn(which is really the most common one we use) and if that's not enough, set that wax ring on top of a standard wax ring and just double-up the wax.
The flange risers work well, I've used them before, but you need to seal them to the flange with silicone (some guys just put a thin layer of wax between them) and I've had problems with the silicone adhering to an old flange.
As someone else had mentioned, you may want to Tapcon that flange to the floor.
Another alternative is Sioux Chief makes a stainless steel flange that goes right over the old plastic flange, it's called a Ringer and when Tapcon'd down, rasies the flange height slightly and is rock-solid with Tapcons.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The general consensus on this board is to avoid the wax rings with horns. Course, they can work, but cause a bunch of problems if not. A correctly installed wax ring is more than enough to create a proper seal.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Avoid the horned rings. If you make a slight boo-boo setting the toilet, the horn can cause problems. The toilet has a horn as an opening, and that all you need. For an 1/8" recess, I'd just use the thicker ring. For more than than, I'd use the extension rings, properly sealed and attached as described by others.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks