Toilet flushing twice

Users who are viewing this thread

SocialD

Reaction score
I have a Gerber toilet in my downstairs bathroom that flushes twice every time I flush it. The bowl empties, refills, empties again, and then refills again. I believe it is the original toilet from when the house was built in the early nineties. Any suggestions on a possible fix for this? The toilet has no other problems so I don't want to shell out the cash to replace it. I just don't like paying for water that I'm not using. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may have replaced the flapper valve with a generic, and it is staying open too long, providing enough water so it has to flush twice. Most toilets today shut the flapper fairly quickly and don't empty the tank when you flush. you need the correct flapper vavle to do that. Some use floats, some use strategically placed holes and maybe a combination of the two.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks