(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 year old well suddenly Cloudy

Default 10 year old well suddenly Cloudy

My well is 10 years old and has always been perfectly clear. We had some heavy rain and 2 days later my water went cloudy. It has never done this before. If left to set in a glass the water does not clear. Stays cloudy. Beige in color.

154 ft total depth

110 ft of PVC case

Submersible pump

The guy that drilled the well looked at it today with a camera. He found no problems with the case. He says the rock has crumbled and left big vains that might be letting in surface water. I wasn't home when he came today, so I didn't get to see for myself. He raised the pump up to 95 ft.

He gave me 3 options.

1. Gravel fill and screen case. $1500.00
    2. Filter system. $3500.00
    3. New well at least 250 ft total with 150 ft of Galvanized case this time. $5200.00

Any Suggestions? Should I give it some time and see if it clears up?

Jody
    Last edited by jmbrad; 03-04-2009 at 06:18 PM.

The price for the filter is way too high, by $2k if bought from a local dealer and more from an online dealer but, if you fill a glass and let it sit, how long does it take to settle out. Beige is probably iron, take a sample somewhere for testing.

I'd pump the well off and see if it clears. If it does, it will come back the next rain like you just had.

What did he charge for the camera inspection? Where are you?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Gary,

I'm in Salisbury, NC.

He charged me 235.00 for the inspection and chlorine treatment.

The water doesn't settle out. It stays cloudy.

Some clarification on the filter system:

He says it will do 4 things:

Soften
    Filter grit
    Raise pH
    Kill Bacteria

I don't know the brand yet. Sounds like from what I have been reading on this site he is going to install multiple devices.He is supposed to bring some literature by tonight.
    Last edited by jmbrad; 03-05-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Default Water Test Results

Hardness 7 GPG
    Iron 1 PPM
    pH 6
    Solids 127 PPM

Manganese and Sulfur were 0.

The filter system the guy is trying to sell me is a WaterRight Sanitizer.

3300.00 + install.

I used to be a dealer for them many years ago. That is a softener, not a filter. The price should be roughly $1200 plus $200 to install it. It creates a bit of chlorine during a regeneration that 'sanitizes' the resin bed but, the resin is not resin, it is their own crystal zeolite. That chlorine does not disinfect/sanitize your water.

If you wanted to be a DIYer, you can buy from an online dealer like me and install it yourself in about 2+ hours. Depending on the size, you'll usually spend less than $850 but, no softener is going to clear up cloudy water!

Have you run the well off yet?
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Gary,

I did run the well off over the weekend. It is steadily clearing. The more water we use, the clearer is gets.

We're going to get some heavy rain again this weekend. I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't get cloudy again.

Jody

That's good, do it again.

Although it doesn't happen frequently, this is what can happen by shocking a well, or as the government and well drillers calls it, sanitizing a well. This cloudy water problem may clear up or may not and if not, it will require a very good backwashed filter. If it only happens after a heavy rain, you have dirty water infiltration into the well. It would cost tons of money to fix the well and less than $1000 for the filter and $400+ for a UV light if you buy online from a dealer like me or others. From a local dealer, you can add a $1000-$1500 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
    This company is very reliable and has a high reputation for excellent service. Free Shipping!

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    That's not what I hear from some of their customers but you being a Kinetico salesman, I can't help but wonder how you would know their reliability or level of service.

So far so good!

Water has cleared up and stayed clear. We had over an inch of rain last weekend and so far, the water has stayed clear.

I'm still holding my breath.

Jody

It' always good to see if you can first rectify a water quality problem at the well, before applying water treatment.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
    http://www.ohiopurewaterco.com

This company is very reliable and has a high reputation for excellent service. Free Shipping!

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
    As I said, you being a Kinetico salesman, how would you know the reliability and extent of this company's service but, I keep hearing from their customers and I'm hearing from them because of poor service BEFORE and AFTER the sale. Here's something I found out about just last night and I checked and it is verbatim on their web site but usually would only be found after ordering from them:

Please refer to the Leaflet for General Operation that will be located inside the Clack Valve Cover, about how to set the “Time of Day” , Adjusting the Hardness and Days between Regeneration and How to Manually Regenerate the unit.

If you happen to lose or misplace this leaflet, please click on this link to our web site where you can download and print off another copy….!!
    http://www.ohiopurewaterco.com/shop/...infomaster.pdf

Our obligation to all our customers who purchase the Clack WS1 system from
    our company, is to assist them with the programming information that is
    available to the home owner on the “General Operation” leaflet supplied with
    your Clack Valve. (See Leaflet Link Shown Above)

We are not obligated to address any additional programming tutorials with any customer, that may be available on the Clack WS1 valve. (the emphasis is THEIRS!)

What that means is that they will not tell their customer how to program the control valve in the installer/dealer side of the computer where you set the K of capacity, the meter setting, the salt dose lbs. etc. etc. etc. etc. OR tell them how to get into that side of the programming!! I hear that when a customer can make contact with them after the sale, they are told to use the default settings.

BTW, they also do not tell their prospective customer how to correctly size a softener; including anything about salt or water efficiency etc. etc..

So people, be careful about taking advice from anyone that says OPW (or numerous other sites) is a good place to buy from (simply to prevent people from buying from me as Andy and others have done for years).

I wonder if they tell the customer how to properly set the salt dosage when using pottasium chloride.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Quote Originally Posted by sammyhydro11 View Post
    It' always good to see if you can first rectify a water quality problem at the well, before applying water treatment.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com
    That's the way I look at it too. The less I have to maintain, the better. I really loath the idea of having to maintain a water treatment plant sitting under my house. I have enough to maintain as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrad View Post
    Hardness 7 GPG
    Iron 1 PPM
    pH 6
    Solids 127 PPM

Manganese and Sulfur were 0.
    So now that you got rid of the cloudiness and it didn't return after a serious rain, you are left with the same water quality.

You don't have to buy equipment, although a softener will remove the hardness and the iron with no more maintenance than keeping salt in the salt tank, but then you get to live with the rust stains and hardness.

The iron and hardness will usually cost more to deal with and suffer the hidden cost of than a softener will if you buy right; like online from me or other online dealers. I suggest a correctly sized softener for your family size, the number of bathrooms you have and the type of fixtures in them, and I suggest the Clack WS-1 control valve.