Rough in for Roman tub - basic water connection to valves

Users who are viewing this thread

JThiessen

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been a long time "browser" of these forums, and have gained much knowledge from the members here.
I finally ran into a situation wher I now need to ask my own question (I searched, but found no threads that addressed this.)

I'm remodeling my master bathroom, and one item is a new soaking tub to replace the old standard tub. I have the hot and cold stub ups sticking through the floor, the rough in valves are temporarily installed in the tub (I mounted them to the tub flange). I have not yet completed the deck around the tub, nor is the tub "set" in yet.
The engineer in me tends to overthink things, so now I've found my self scratching my head on how exactly to connect the supply lines to the valves.
1) Do I complete the tub installation, and direct connect the lines to the valves? This would be the most sound installation, but it would also be a little difficult to do the final soldering joints.
2) Do I install shut off valves in line? If so, under the deck, below the floor (piping is in the garage ceiling). I'm not a fan of this one, since valves will likely develop a leak somewhere down the line, probably not for me, but maybe with a future owner.
3) If neither of the above, is it common to use screw on supply hoses similar to a sink installation? Or some other threaded style joint? I'm not inclined to use this method either due to the propensity for leaking.

The reason I guess I am overthinking this is that sometime down the road, someone else may have to work on this, and I'd like to make it as robust as I can. I do have limited access from below that would make a threaded connection possible to access - but still not as easy as I'd like. And yes, I will be making the front panel on the deck removable in some fashion.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fucet

1) Do I complete the tub installation, and direct connect the lines to the valves? This would be the most sound installation, but it would also be a little difficult to do the final soldering joints.

Direct connect. Do as much as possible before you install the tub and then make the final connections.

2) Do I install shut off valves in line? If so, under the deck, below the floor (piping is in the garage ceiling). I'm not a fan of this one, since valves will likely develop a leak somewhere down the line, probably not for me, but maybe with a future owner.

Shutoff valves may be redundant. Most plumbers would not look for them and would just shutoff the main line to service the faucet.

3) If neither of the above, is it common to use screw on supply hoses similar to a sink installation? Or some other threaded style joint? I'm not inclined to use this method either due to the propensity for leaking.

Those supplies are marked, "Not for use in concealed locations", and their internal passages are VERY MUCH smaller than a copper tube would be.
WHY would someone have to work on them at some future date, unless the tub was being replaced?

JThiessen

Reaction score

Direct connect. Do as much as possible before you install the tub and then make the final connections.

Shutoff valves may be redundant. Most plumbers would not look for them and would just shutoff the main line to service the faucet.

Those supplies are marked, "Not for use in concealed locations", and their internal passages are VERY MUCH smaller than a copper tube would be.
WHY would someone have to work on them at some future date, unless the tub was being replaced?

Thanks for the reply. Just in typing out the post last night, I pretty much convinced myself that #1 was the way I was going to go.

In regards to why would someone have to replace them, I guess I was being overly concerned about someone having to replace the valves. If they were to replace the tub, everything would be exposed for them to work on anyway. Like I said, I was overanalyzing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks