tighten shower pipe without scratching it ??

Users who are viewing this thread

hottubbrad

Reaction score
What method do you use to tighten the shower pipe into the drop ear elbow...
I always seem to scratch it with my pipe wrench....
And the trims don't cover the scratch marks completely.

ALSO, do you use teflon tape or pipe dope.....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use whatever makes you feel better, although many people use both.

I don't find it a problem to just use the bent arm of the pipe as a lever and just screw it in by hand. They make strap wrenchs that work, and you can insert the handle of say a pair of pliers in the outlet and make a bigger lever. If the pipe is cheap and thin, you can distort it with something in the end, though. Normally, I've not had a problem just doing it by hand, though. Unless the arm is straight, that's normally enough leverage to get it aligned and to seal the connection.

faucetman886

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I have used an old leather belt or a piece of scrap leather to insolate the pipe wrench from the pipe. If you soak the leather in water it makes it even less likely to do any damage. As the years have gone by and my waist size has grown I always have extra belts..LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks