(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: high efficency furnace venting

Default high efficency furnace venting

i've got a goodman 93% furnace.. it vents through a PVC pipe.. the HACK that installed this thing decided the best place to vent was a hole in my wall and right outside my house.. i have a PVC pipe running across my utility room and out the side of my house right next to where i'm puttign my nice paver patio and garden wall.. i was wondering if i could extend the pipe up about another 2 feet and run it through my attic then 90 run the pipe over to my soffit and 90 then a short pipe through the soffit. it would barely peak out the soffit and would look a million time better than what this idiot did.. i assume it needs to run horizional like that for icing problems in the winter? i'd really like some insight here.. if possible my ideal setup would be vent it striaht up out the roof like my plumbing vents.. a less effceint furnace vents striaght up right? any insight?

Short answer is maybe, but bottom line is you MUST get ahold of the Goodman installation manual and follow it to the letter. It will also invoke the requirements of the National Fuel Gas Code. On a condensing furnace, you have to make sure that instructions for the condensate issue are not violated.

I am guessing you have a GVC9? Notice that there is a special set of instruction for installation in the state of Massachusetts. The instructions are available online ( not a public website) but if they did not leave the manual with you, your dealer can get it for you.

The GVC9 is dual rated for direct vent or non-direct, so follow the appropriate instructions.
    Last edited by jimbo; 05-31-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You need to dig out the installation manual. There are very specific requirements that determine where, how long, and how you can run the exhaust (and air intake) on that kind of system. You can severely compromise operations if they are not followed. Exhausting under a soffit is unlikely to be an acceptable choice. Plus, the runs must be sloped properly so that the condensate can drain.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

well teh jerk that installed this thing didn't leave me the manual.. and i have no idea where he bought it nor would i have anyway of prooving it was bought from there anyway.. any place online i can just buy the manual?

and also how would i find out what model i have?

jake...thanks for that website. I have access to the goodman secure website. I can print things, but cannot link them for others.

thank you jake.. that will really help me out.