Bad reversing valve??? Compressor?

Users who are viewing this thread

sparker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Over the past two weeks my heat pump has been blowing cold air. I had a tech come out and replace the sequencer on my 5kw heat strip. Then he said the reversing valve was stuck probably between the heat and AC mode. This makes perfectly good sense to me, the cold air coming out. Fortunately the part was still in warranty (2005 goodman cple24-1C 2ton heat pump). He was working on it today and when I asked how it was going he said not good, that he didn't know what the problem was, ie the new reversing valve not working. He said the new part could be defective, that it was made in china. Then he called a buddy and the buddy said it may not be working because of the cold. We just had a decent-sized snow here in NC, temps are in the 20s. Other senarios were a bad compressor. This was pulling 5amps, he said. And I've never noted it not turning on in the past. This was the only diagnostic he ran on the compressor and he seemed adamant about changing it.

So my questions are: Would a bad reversing valve destroy a compressor? Would a bad rev valve blow cold air? Does this guy know what he's talking about?

We're on emg heat now.Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This may be dumb, but in heating mode with a heat pump, not sure if you want the fan on...it normally (in cooling mode) moves heat out of the coils. Since you are trying to add heat...blowing it away may not work. I fully admit, I'm not up on a heat pump's operation, so take this with a grain of salt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks