My lucky day.

Users who are viewing this thread

stevo_61

Reaction score
I have a small residential above ground pump. The previous owner had a 20G bladder tank and a non bladder, regular old steel tank connected to the system. I don't know why the steel tank was there unless he was trying to use it as a bladder tank. It was introducing rust into the system so I just turned off the valve and left it there. I realize I need to get this off the system. So I only have the 20G bladder tank. The pump runs for about 23 seconds in a cycle and the water pressure is pretty herky jerky. I understand it should run for about a minute. So I went down to Lowes to get another tank to add to the system. Lo and behold they have a bunch of 58G tanks marked down to $50. from $284. My lucky day. So now the question is, Should I add this 58G tank to the system making it 78G worth of air, or put the 58G on by itself because that would be enough? Is it a more-the-better situation?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The galvanized tank might have been there because of high iron content in the water. Most bladder tanks bladders do not last 10 years, and the one you found on sale will probably only last half that long.

I would start by making sure your old bladder tank is really working properly (maintaining proper air charge). If you want to go bigger, I would get a quality tank that you will not find at the big box stores.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have it backward. It doesn't matter how long the pump runs for as long as it it moving water. What matters it you want it to stay off 30-60 seconds once it reaches its high pressure cutoff point. A larger bladder tank will help with this.

Also, I'd keep it simple, so unless the 20g bladder tank is new I'd go with just the 58g tank. My previous (and current) bladder tank is a well mate. The first lasted 9 years.

Good luck!
-rick

Last edited:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Check the air in the bladder tank!

I'd check the air in the existing bladder tank. Then consider installing a Cycle Stop Valve or install a Pside-Kick www.cyclestopvalves.com somewhere between the pump and the tank. This will prevent your pump from cycling and give you constant pressure (like city water pressure) and extend the life of your pump, pressure switch and tank. A larger tank won't hurt but it won't help much either.

As far as the galvanized tank goes, if it isn't helping with anything leave it turned off or take it out. Personally I don't see the need of it.

stevo_61

Reaction score
problem solved

I put the 52G bladder tank on and it really smoothed out the water pressure. All is well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks