(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Pitless adapters in NC?

Default Pitless adapters in NC?

Does anyone know why pitless adapters are not used on wells in the Piedmont (charlotte area) of NC? I've had 2 different drillers tell me they are not allowed. Doesn't make sense; it was 12 degrees here last night so is hardly a frost-free climate. Maybe they want to keep those fake-rock manufacturers in business, since you need to cover the exposed pipe out the top of the seal with something or risk a freeze up.

Here in my part of Texas, most people do not use a pitless either. However, I have them on all of my wells. Those who have a pitless don't have to worry about freezing. Those without a pitless, try to keep some water running when it freezes. Sometimes it works, sometimes they have to call a pump man. Letting the well head freeze can be expensive. It can even cause plastic well casing to collapse, completely ruining the well, if the motor continues to run when the well head is frozen.

How does a pitless adaptor keep the pipe from freezing?

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robert444 View Post
    How does a pitless adaptor keep the pipe from freezing?
    The pitless adapter and connecting supply pipe to the structure are all buried below the frost line.

Default Leaks Possible

Here in MO they are allowed but not on a well that supplies water to a dairy barn. Heath Dept says no, might leak water around the seal.