Picking a Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

sslewis4

Reaction score
We're renovating our bathroom, and I'm having difficulty selecting a toilet. Because it's in a high visibility area, I wanted something with style; however, every time I lean toward a particular model, I find negative comments or no comments, i.e., Gerber Allerton (only a 2" flush valve); Kohler Devonshire (poor flush rating); and Mansfield Barrett (no information available). I liked the Mansfield becuase the intestines are concealed, but I'm hesitant to buy it, since I have found no reviews. Any information on the Mansfield Barrett would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look at any of the Toto toilets that use the unifit adapter...they will work on a 10" rough-in with the proper adapter. They all have skirts that give it some style and are easier to clean, plus, they work well. There are more, but I have a Vespin and a Carlyle in my house. The Vespin is a two-piece, and the Carlyle is a one-piece design. www.totousa.com

No idea on the Mansfield, but other models haven't had the best reviews.

abak_carlyle.jpg

TOTO MS874114SG Carlyle

Last edited by a moderator:

Micp879

Reaction score
I have three Mansfield Mavericks in my house. They share alot of the same components and characteristics as the Barrett... 3 inch flush valve, 2 1/8 trap way just to name a few. They are honestly the best toilets I have ever owned. No problems at all, and I have not had a clog in the 9 months Ive had them. The quality control has seemed acceptable, and if I remember correctly they are still made in the USA. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Zoe's Mom

Reaction score
Mansfield vs. Toto vs. American Standard

I'm in a quandry. We are installing two new toilets in a vacation property. They will be used about four months of the year, with some short term use at scattered times of the year. I'm not interested in breaking the bank on these, nor do I want to install something just because it is inexpensive.

Our contractor's wife is insisting we get Kohler Cimarron. Various blogs on that show many problems and our "back home" plumber (who won't be making a nickel either out of selling or repairing these toilets since they are 900 miles away) says he has terrible problems with Kohler and strongly recommended against them. I don't want the Kohler and will not be getting it.

I had a high recommendation of the American Standard Cadet 3 from another plumber (also not making money off of our project), but the postings on this site seem to be mixed....some folks love their Cadet 3's, others have had many problems. Buying from a wholesaler rather than a big box store seems to help in quality. I can't guarantee where our contractor would buy. His wife being annoyed with me on this silly issue may result in a substandard purchase. Who knows? I could tell by the look on her face that she felt anyone who would consider an American Standard was a real low life. It was annoying, but humorous. Rest assured she and I will not be seeing one another socially post construction.

The Toto Drake seemed like a good idea, but my contractor's wife (after telling me SHE had them in her house!) essentially told me I could not have them since they were difficult to get in Florida. Curiously, there are billboards all over the state advertising Totos. Makes no sense. Our plumber at home recommends against Totos, saying they are difficult to get maintenance/repairs done on them. Of course, he is talking about here, not Florida. No, I haven't asked our Florida plumber.

Our home plumber has recommended Mansfield saying that while they were pricey, he has them in his home and is very pleased. I haven't found out a lot about Mansfield pros on line, but have read cons about them being hard to flush. I don't want family we let use our property without us there have problems flushing and break something.

HELP! :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the newer toilets that use a 3" flush valve will work better then what you had.

Toto is the best at this point. They make many of them in Georgia, not real far from Florida.
Korky replacement parts can be found at Lowes for these.
The tank consists of a flapper and a fill valve.
You plumber knows how to replace a flapper, right?
If not, it's a 30 second job for a homeowner.
Quality on the porcelain with Toto is best.

The Cadet 3 works as a low cost replacement.
Hardware stores carry the Korky replacement flapper for when the original starts to blister.

Kohler will work, the trapway is not as good as the above two, but they work. Kohler has gone to their own cannister flush valve, so at this point, only Kohler will have parts.

I haven't seen Mansfield for a while.
Normally I'm removing them for something else.

Most toilets have a flapper and a fill valve.
Repairs are pretty similar for all.

inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Toto Drake tank

TOTO manufactures many of their products in America

Last edited:

Zoe's Mom

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Terry. By the way, I love your site and have learned a lot by reading it, your reviews and the various blogs.

My frustrations on this issue is compounded by the fact that this lady seems to demean anything my husband and I say we want or are interested in. We are adding onto a vacation property, not the Taj Mahal, and while we want as good a quality as we can afford, most expensive is not necessarily the best nor what is suitable.

On the plus side, the contractor and all the subs we've met (thus far) have been great. Haven't met the plumbing contractor yet.....any chance you are going to be opening a north Florida office? :) It is close to Georgia and all those Totos!

Seriously, thanks again for the input.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My frustrations on this issue is compounded by the fact that this lady seems to demean anything my husband and I say we want or are interested in. We are adding onto a vacation property, not the Taj Mahal, and while we want as good a quality as we can afford, most expensive is not necessarily the best nor what is suitable.

Fire her!:cool:

Zoe's Mom

Reaction score
Well, she is the contractor's WIFE and he is a very nice man with a great reputation doing a good job. I don't think he's going to divorce her on our behalf! (Hmm....maybe we could talk him into a short separation to get her attention? ;))

I'm getting very close to having a serious heart-to-heart with her about how unhappy I am with the poor response and "assistance" we are getting from her. I've been waiting three weeks now for some samples that were to be sent to us, well, at least two weeks ago. If she hasn't received them yet.....fine......tell us! But no effort is made to keep us informed. She didn't want us to consider that particular product line and I am suspicious that no effort has been made to get the samples to then box us into a corner on our selection. I've also been waiting two-plus weeks for a response to an e-mail with a short query on another issue. I'm not a diva and am more than willing to wait my turn, etc., but I am a little tired of being patronized when the things we want don't match up with what she wants to sell us. Sometimes what we want is more expensive and those ideas are pooh-poohed. Other times they are less expensive and those ideas are demeaned.

It has been different! This is not our first remodelling experience, but it is the first time I've had this kind of treatment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks