Water pressure fluctuation

Users who are viewing this thread

JMichaux75

Reaction score
I have been having a problem with my water pressure fluctuating. Every water faucet, sink, toilet, and shower run water fine for the first few seconds then the water pressure gets so low, water is no longer coming out of the faucet, then within a minute the water pressure slowly bulids back up to full strength. There are no air bubble when this happens. I am hoping I can do the repairs myself but, I am not sure what to repair. Any input here would be great.

Thanks!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this on a well system, city water, on hot, cold or both? Is the pipe old, new, galvanized, lead, copper? A little more info?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are not on a well system, then your symptoms are classic for a defective main pressure regulator.

JMichaux75

Reaction score
more info...

I am on city water and it does not matter the temperature of the water. Even my outdoor spigots have this problem. The plumbing in the house was switched from polybutylene to CPVC(flowguard gold) about 7 years ago. The house itself is twenty years old. None of my neighbors have this problem.

If it is the water pressure regulator can that be replaced by a novice do it yourselfer or is this too difficult?

Hope this helps..let me know any other questions!!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Find your PRV. If you buy the exact same brand and model, it is often a direct screw-in replacement with no piping mods. necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks