How to Remove Bypass Door Hardware

Users who are viewing this thread

lizp

Reaction score
We just moved into a new place and have an extra room for an office. The only problem is it's a bit crowded. To open up the room a bit I want to take off the double sliding closet doors and build my desk with a shelving unit into the double closet. Easy. Except, the doors were put in with what I think is bypass door hardware. Confusing. When I went to remove them there wasn't any screws, everything is snapped and riveted.

Is there any way to take these things off without damaging them?

Here are pictures of the hardware:

P1010184.jpg

P1010185.jpg

We may wish to put the doors back in the future and don't want to have to find new hardware.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank You

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Hi Liz,
Odd looking hardware.........

It looks like the top picture shows the 'front door' on the left side and it still has an adjustment screw of some sort, yes?

Usually, as you may know, the 'front' door of the pair has to come off first, by tilting the bottom out, and then lifting the roller off the top track. However, it looks like you've got a bottom roller guide as well, yes?

The bottom ones look like they're spring loaded to keep constant tension, so there must be a way to grab them where they can be compressed and removed.

I have no clue if I'm helping you...........but I love a mystery!

So?

HE

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The white bottom guide pin slides up, then swing the door out and lift top rollers off track.

lizp

Reaction score
This should work!

Looks like that will do it. Should be able to get around to it this coming weekend, i'll keep ya posted how it turns out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks