Using plastic/vinyl 1/4" for hot water to humidifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Fubar411

Reaction score
Ok, I think I may have figured it out. After twice having my basement sprayed with hot water, are you not supposed to use vinyl for hot water?

I installed a whole house humidifier a couple weeks ago, and everything was ok when it wasn't running much (we had a couple weeks of warm, high humid air). But now that it is cold out, the humidifier is running more and more. I figure the vinyl hose is warming up (I used the hot line) and then it pops out of the fitting. I'm using the right stuff, where you put a sleeve in the tube then tighten it down. The fitting stays on fine with no leaks...but twice I've had to clean up a huge mess when it pulls out.

I'm thinking I need to switch to copper, which is fine. Just need to know if that is my problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vinyl

1. you do not mention using the brass insert sleeve inside the tubing, and if not, that means the tubing can soften and slide out of the fitting. WITH the ferrule the tubing can soften, but it cannot "shrink" because the ferrule is keeping it to size.

2. Are you using the "milky" white or the clear tubing? You cannot use the clear stuff for any pressure application, hot or cold.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
When ever I get hired to hook up ice makers and humidifiers, i always install a angle valve (saddle tees are against Illinois code) and use copper supply pipe.

Fubar411

Reaction score
No saddle valve here, I've hated those things most my life...I'm starting to have the same feeling towards this vinyl tubing. I used a 3/4x3/4x1/2 T and then put in a 1/2" ball shut off. I know, overkill and probably screams DIY, but I don't like the normal shut offs that I've had to replace over the years either.

Yes, it is the milky plastic stuff. Is it not for use on hot? I have some of the copper left over from when there was an icemaker hooked up. I'm guessing I'll just use compression nuts on it.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good plan to go with copper.

In addition to the bursting risk, there are too many hot things around a furnace to use meltable tubing.

Fubar411

Reaction score
I am using the inner sleve. It worked fine for maybe three weeks, but once the furnace was on fairly regularly, I think the hot water deformed the tubing enough to break free.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I wouldn't use hot water into the humidifier unless specifically called for by the manufacturer.

Fubar411

Reaction score
Ok, did it with copper and much better results than before. After reading some of the problems with Pex and repiping a house that had cpvc, I am a convert to this new copper piping fad.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Aprilaire, and some others, do recommend hot water for their flow-through humidifiers especially if used with a heat pump, since the warm air coming off the a-coil in a heat pump is not as warm as from a regular furnace. Using hot water makes for a little better evaporation from the media pad.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have no knowledge of humidifiers, but I would never use a saddle valve and plastic tubing for anything. That crap is sold to DIYers to install ice makers and anything else that uses just a small amount of water, and people buy it because it looks so simple and no one mentions the fact that they tend to fail fairly quickly. It costs just a few buck more to use a tee, ball valve and adapters, and a coil of 1/4" copper tubing to make a permanent installation.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
saddle valves don't meet code and should never be used. A customer of ours had saddle valve blow off and water damaged about 20 grand worth of antiques stored in the basement area. Their insurance refused to pay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks