Shower Stall Drain not threaded???

Users who are viewing this thread

MPiazzisi

Reaction score
So my shower stall has a drain that needs replacing. Went to store bought 2" drain kit. I am not a plumber so my naming may be wrong.
The new one has a strainer, then an outside "cup" that is tread inside and out, the big nut that goes to the outside of cup(rubber gasket for between), there is a 2" compression gasket and then a compression nut that is tooled to the inside threads. No problems yet.
The problem is with the old drain. The old drain "cup" will not come apart. I do not know how to take it out. It is not threaded in or out. It is smooth both in and out. Luckily I have good access from underneath.
How do you all suspect this "cup" comes apart. My guess is that it is 2 pieces. The top and then a bottom piece that is snapped into place. I can feel a indentation on the inside of the cup suggesting that on the outside of the cup has a ridge to hold a washer or something inplace. I can not see a washer from underneath. I will get a closer look as soon as I can.
Please excuse the rambling I hope this is enough information for someone to figure out what it is I have and tell me how to take it apart.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It may be a factory assembled press together drain, in which case the only way to remove it is to cut it out, which can be iffy to do without damaging the shower stall.

MPiazzisi

Reaction score
I am not affraid to cut it out... but how. I have a jig saw and sawzall. I suppose I could find a hole saw at the store. But then I would guess I need to return the 2" drain kit and get a 3" drain kit with a 3" to 2" reducer.
I would guess jig saw but what tool would you attack this with?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your description is not helping. Do you have access to the bottom of the pan? How about some pics. Thanks,/

MPiazzisi

Reaction score
Fixed! I took some pictures to HD and the "OH SO SMART" person in plumbing had no idea. I even took pictures with me. Luckily there was a plumbing savvy customer there that was listening in. He took me over to the PVC aisle and showed me a few 2" - 2" compression gaskets. I bought 2. One was thicker than the other. Niether were perfect. So I made the thicker one fit. It was 5" tall I trimmed it to about 2.5" and then trimmed the lip to fit in the drain. I put a thin coat of putty in and out of the gasket. 99% of it squeezed out. There were no leaks.

Thanks for the input. OH and yes it was factory attached to the pan. The brand is FIAT. Not sure why any one would make a drain that can not be replaced but luckily I was able to work around this one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks