Laundry Room Plumbing novice (you will laugh hard!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ozzmosis

Reaction score
Ok ok, I need some advice. As you will see from the very poor drawings and details in the pictures below, I will try to explain as best I can, and I know there will be much laughing... Lets begin!

I have a laundry room that is roughed in for bathroom/shower, etc. Since I have no idea about plumbing, I decided this place would be the best for ideas on how to do things.

This house was built in 1998 and the previous owners (original) left their old washer and dryer and we didn't change anything until now... We bought a new washer and dryer and my wife wants to change where they are placed.

We will begin with a very poor room layout scheme that I drew up in about 2 mins:

As you can see I have labels where each picture was taken, and direction. I have also marked (poorly) where there is plumbing coming out of the floor, and I would like to know what devices if you will, can go where. Where could I put a shower, where could I put a sink, where could I put the toilet, where can I put the washer drain, etc. In the pictures I have marked where devices were, and questions on what pipes are for what. Now I have a very basic understanding on what everything is, but I figured I should be treated like a complete amateur so I can be sure I have all the right details. (I'm laughing so hard at my silly pics and diagram already...) Also note, that the old washer and dryer were facing each other, and my wife wants to put them side by side against that same wall.

Ok Here is plumbing01.jpg:

I assume this can be used for the washer drain, shower drain, sink drain, but not toilet. Am I correct?

Here is plumbing02.jpg:

This is simply a continuation of plumbing01.jpg to show how the vent is connected in the ceiling of the room.

Here is plumbing03.jpg:

We can see the existing standpipe and future rough-in for toilet, and other connections (not sure how these could be run...)

To be continued in next post...

Last edited:

Ozzmosis

Reaction score
Here is plumbing04.jpg

these are the existing water lines for the washer as mounted on the wall. I would like to know if this is ok, or if there is a prefered method.

Here is plumbing05.jpg

here is where the water lines run up to the ceiling. I do have access to redirect if required.

Here is plumbing06.jpg

I assume this could be a shower drain.

Here is plumbing07.jpg

this is how the existing dryer vent is run.

Continued in next post...

Last edited:

Ozzmosis

Reaction score
Here is plumbing08.jpg

this is a wide view of where the old washer was sitting. (Yes i know washer was misspelled... wesher... haha!) we can also see a better view of the current plumbing on the right wall.

here is plumbing09.jpg

here is a view of the dryer connections.

Ok! Now that I am the laughing stock on the forum, I was wondering if I can get some feedback on why the plumbing was done this way, and what I have to do to make the washer and dryer sit side by side, be safe, and legal. Wow. I wonder if I really had to make this post as long and ridiculous as I have.... Let the flamings begin!

Thanks for all the input!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The screw plugs ( with square boss on top) are cleanouts. The other "what is this" are either previous uses capped off, or stubs for possible future use.

I can't see an overall "big picture" of what you want to move where.

The large pipe in the floor may well be a stub for possible future toilet.

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
I dont see where that vent stack is actually held in place other than the cemented in wye coming out. And its on an angle going vertical? Wow. Whoever plumbed that room didnt care about looks, thats for sure. Make sure when you do go to finish it off, try to keep things tight to a stud and brace them with somethng at least at the bottm of the joint and one for that horizontal run.

The only thing that could be done better would be to install a washer box so that you dont have the washer drain off to the side and the supply hooked in to a 2x4 in the wall.
This site kind of quickly explains it, but of course its all about fire rating. You can stick with a more basic one and you'd be good to go.

http://www.prosetsystems.com/washerbox.htm

Ozzmosis

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

What I need to do (I think) is install a washer box (Thank you) on the back wall and then move the water source and drain to the left of its current location (basically a 90 degree turn around the inside corner) so the washer and dryer sit beside each other. I have pics below...

here is plumbing10.jpg

here is plumbing11.jpg

here is plumbing12.jpg

When it comes time to actually finish the laundry/bathroom I will straighten that pipe.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
You are on the right track. You might want to keep the washer box on the right side of the washer(not exactly centered). First off you'd have to run even more pipe and second it would be easier to access if its in between stuff, not right behind it. Check your local code for grade requirements of a washer. You might run into a problem with it being far away from the main stack. If anything though, you should be able to move it just after the first stud around the corner so your washer box will have to be on the right side of the washer anyway.

It also seems like you have quite a bit of extra wire for that electrical outlet. You might want to move that over a few studs as well. Make sure to either wrap it in some water/fireproof stuff especrially if its gonna be below the supply/drain connections.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It is hard to tell without some reference point, but that washer drain may not be 2", and if not you will have problems with it. Also toss that trap with a locknut. You will never be able to access it in the wall, and it could crack and cause problems some day.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Moving the water is not a big deal. The washer drain needs to be 2: ID pipe, and the slope needs to be minimum 1/4" per foot. Depending on how far you move it, you may have to move the vent closer to the standpipe.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks