inline in gas furnace exhaust: what is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
Hi All,

In need of some expert advice again. Could you guys tell me what this thing is inline in the exhaust from the gas furnace in my house? The furnace is in the crawl space and the component in question is in the top left hand corner of 1st pic.

Water (condensation probably) drips from it during the heating season. The furnace seems to work fine and it was ckd out by a pro about 6 months ago; he told me what it was but now I don't remember.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0679s.jpg
    IMG_0679s.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 4,029
  • IMG_0680s.jpg
    IMG_0680s.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,175

geno54

Reaction score
That's a B vent or double wall tee that appears to have been capped off. The water leaking is flu gasses condensing in the tee and rotting through the metal. The tee shouldn't really be there but judging by the exceptional craftsmanship he needed a short piece and that's what he had laying around. When put together properly the B vent twists and locks together and ductape is not necessary Its possible that tee is from a different manufacturer and hence the ductape. It should be corrected or the flu gasses will eventually vent inside instead of outside

Gdog

Reaction score
Really, it doesn't need to be there? I thought it was there to keep condensation from running into the furnace. The exhaust pipe continues on another 6 ft or so into the chimney; see pic below.

So you're saying it could be replaced with a straight section of exhaust pipe?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0682s.jpg
    IMG_0682s.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 918

geno54

Reaction score
Really, it doesn't need to be there? I thought it was there to keep condensation from running into the furnace. The exhaust pipe continues on another 6 ft or so into the chimney; see pic below.

So you're saying it could be replaced with a straight section of exhaust pipe?

Thanks!
No it should not be there. Would be good idea to find a better Pro than the last one, who understands venting.

MaintenanceMan

In the Trades
Reaction score
No it should not be there. Would be good idea to find a better Pro than the last one, who understands venting.

I'll second that! I'm not trying to rub salt in the wound here, but that is one god awful looking install.

Gdog

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the input; i will get it rectified asap.

And FWIW, i cannot take credit for the outstanding handiwork seen in this thread; i suspect the previous owner was prolific DIYer, but unlike myself, he didn't come here first!

all the best!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks