(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: inline in gas furnace exhaust: what is it?

Hybrid View

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial digital cameras (aka machine vision) gdog's Avatar

Default inline in gas furnace exhaust: what is it?

Hi All,

In need of some expert advice again. Could you guys tell me what this thing is inline in the exhaust from the gas furnace in my house? The furnace is in the crawl space and the component in question is in the top left hand corner of 1st pic.

Water (condensation probably) drips from it during the heating season. The furnace seems to work fine and it was ckd out by a pro about 6 months ago; he told me what it was but now I don't remember.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That's a B vent or double wall tee that appears to have been capped off. The water leaking is flu gasses condensing in the tee and rotting through the metal. The tee shouldn't really be there but judging by the exceptional craftsmanship he needed a short piece and that's what he had laying around. When put together properly the B vent twists and locks together and ductape is not necessary Its possible that tee is from a different manufacturer and hence the ductape. It should be corrected or the flu gasses will eventually vent inside instead of outside

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial digital cameras (aka machine vision) gdog's Avatar

Really, it doesn't need to be there? I thought it was there to keep condensation from running into the furnace. The exhaust pipe continues on another 6 ft or so into the chimney; see pic below.

So you're saying it could be replaced with a straight section of exhaust pipe?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gdog View Post
    Really, it doesn't need to be there? I thought it was there to keep condensation from running into the furnace. The exhaust pipe continues on another 6 ft or so into the chimney; see pic below.

So you're saying it could be replaced with a straight section of exhaust pipe?

Thanks!
    No it should not be there. Would be good idea to find a better Pro than the last one, who understands venting.

Quote Originally Posted by geno54 View Post
    No it should not be there. Would be good idea to find a better Pro than the last one, who understands venting.
    I'll second that! I'm not trying to rub salt in the wound here, but that is one god awful looking install.

Thanks again for all the input; i will get it rectified asap.

And FWIW, i cannot take credit for the outstanding handiwork seen in this thread; i suspect the previous owner was prolific DIYer, but unlike myself, he didn't come here first!

all the best!