Old bathtub drain problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan_C_

Reaction score
I live in an older building, built around 1930, with a remodel that was done probably around 40 years ago. My problem is this, my bathtub drain has stopped draining quickly, it gets the water gone, but takes its sweet time getting there. I have tried most of the natural remedies (baking soda, plunger, boiling water) and can make it a little bit better, but only for about a month or so.

I bought a small affordable snake, but there seems to be a grating blocking my way getting it down the bathtub drain about an inch down.

I rent, and can't do anything drastic, and as long as the drain is draining, the landlord won't do much.

Is there a way to get around the grating without getting me evicted?

Last edited:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Evicted¿ Landlord or slumlord¿ Might be a drumtrap that is in need of replacement for a traditional p-trap setup. Time to get a plumber out at the landlords consent.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A bathtub is often snaked from the overflow...on a really old one, getting that off without breaking something may be a problem...probably best left to a plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

I assume from your description that you are trying to snake from the opening in the bottom of the tub. If so, STOP, you cannot do it that way. You have to snake from the overflow opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks