(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Old bathtub drain problem

Default Old bathtub drain problem

I live in an older building, built around 1930, with a remodel that was done probably around 40 years ago. My problem is this, my bathtub drain has stopped draining quickly, it gets the water gone, but takes its sweet time getting there. I have tried most of the natural remedies (baking soda, plunger, boiling water) and can make it a little bit better, but only for about a month or so.

I bought a small affordable snake, but there seems to be a grating blocking my way getting it down the bathtub drain about an inch down.

I rent, and can't do anything drastic, and as long as the drain is draining, the landlord won't do much.

Is there a way to get around the grating without getting me evicted?
    Last edited by Dan_C_; 02-27-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Evicted┐ Landlord or slumlord┐ Might be a drumtrap that is in need of replacement for a traditional p-trap setup. Time to get a plumber out at the landlords consent.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A bathtub is often snaked from the overflow...on a really old one, getting that off without breaking something may be a problem...probably best left to a plumber.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default drain

I assume from your description that you are trying to snake from the opening in the bottom of the tub. If so, STOP, you cannot do it that way. You have to snake from the overflow opening.