Frying Transformers...

Users who are viewing this thread

drbobl

Reaction score
I recently replaced some old metal pipe that ran from the water supply to two sprinkler valves for my lawn with PVC. I also replaced the valves with two new ones and wired them to the existing automatic timer/controller. Everything worked fine for a couple of days, then one of the valves stopped turning on. I was in the middle of a project and didn't have time to investigate, so I just ran that one manually for a few days. Then they all (6) stopped working.

I measured the voltage coming from the transformer that powers the system and found that there was none, where there should have been 24 V. I replaced the transformer with a new one. Again everything worked fine for a couple of days and then the new transformer went dead.

Can anyone tell me what they believe is causing these transformers to fry?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are all of the heads on at the same time? COuld the new ones take more current than the old ones, and are overloading the transformer? Do you need a larger transformer? I've never worked with sprinklers, so keep that in mind!

CaptWally

Reaction score
At the risk of stepping over the line as far as brands/manufacturers, and potential advertisers to this website, for which we could get in trouble discussing, could you tell me what brand of sprinkler/irrigation timer you are using? That could tell a lot....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
timer

Not usually a factor since all of them have transformers that will operate the panel and at least two valves simultaneously, even though good practice puts only one valve on a circuit.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most timers have the capability to operate a pump start relay or a main valve in addition to one zone valve. But there are some wimpy transformers on the market, so it is important to check the milliamp rating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks