Cost of city water hookup

Users who are viewing this thread

kelsmj

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting estimates to have my home hooked up to city water, where I live. I have already got one estimate, and it seems awfully high to me. Basically, the job will involve running and trenching about 200ft 1" K-Soft Copper piping to the house from the water main, hook up the water in the crawl space, where the well pump currently is. Cap and close off well. Set meter pit, yoke and stops.

The first estimate was around 6k, which was way more then I was expecting. I would rather just stay on well water, for that price.

Any advice, or help would be appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

How deep does it have to be installed in your area and what kind of soil is it going through. 6K could be overpriced, or it could be a bargain, depending on your precise conditions. Get more estimates.

kelsmj

Reaction score
hj said:
How deep does it have to be installed in your area and what kind of soil is it going through. 6K could be overpriced, or it could be a bargain, depending on your precise conditions. Get more estimates.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure how deep they have to go, and where I live, it is kind of a clay type soil. I have more estimates coming. The water company said it usually ranges from $750-$1800, but they said that can vary depending on a lot of circumstances.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get referrals

just call the water company back and simply
ask them who that they woud refer ...(if they can do that)

6 grand is way too high for 200 feet of pipe....
I doubt that they are blasting through granite..

if you called the biggest ad in your yellow pages

they have to pay for that ad somehow.....

a standard average price should somewhere around between 1 +2k

kelsmj

Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
just call the water company back and simply
ask them who that they woud refer ...(if they can do that)

6 grand is way too high for 200 feet of pipe....
I doubt that they are blasting through granite..

if you called the biggest ad in your yellow pages

they have to pay for that ad somehow.....

a standard average price should somewhere around between 1 +2k

I already asked the Water Company. They can't refer anybody. But they do say " As a general guideline only, we find that the cost of a service line in a residential subdivision typically costs $900 to $1,800. However, steep topography, unusual obstacles or landscaping, and complexity of the connection to home plumbing can increase the cost of service line installations."

I would expect mine to be a little bit on the higher side, since I have a huge yard, but heck, $6000 for digging a hole and laying down about $1,000 in materials is a lot.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Maybe they use the philosophy of the lady selling apples on the street. When asked how much they were she replied, "20 dollars". She was told that at that price she wouldn't sell many apples, to which she replied, "At that price I only have to sell one."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks