Drain Cleaning Forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Macplumb 777 suggested the new forum here.
He is a 35 YR. MASTERPLUMBER WITH A PH.D IN WATER HEATEROLGY AND A MASTER'S DEGREE IN DRAINOLGY

A forum on cleaning drains.
He currently works as a rep for Trojan Sewer & Drain, so he has lot's of experience with the equipment, and as a water heater expert.
I try to avoid the machines, but there are entire companies that devote themselves to clearing drains.
Hopefully, by having a separate category, we can organize the questions and answers better.
Terry Love

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Nice, I was thinking this as well. We do specialize in cleaning drains. Its how our company started back in 1959. In all honesty I prefer drain cleaning, people appreciate you more when you get the water to go down, and pay the bill happily. Where as doing pipe work, the expect it to look good and not leak, and usually complain about the bill.

Thanks for giving drain cleaning its own little wall for us to write on.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
degrees

MASTERPLUMBER WITH A PH.D IN WATER HEATEROLGY AND A MASTER'S DEGREE IN DRAINOLGY

I would like to see the degrees and know where he received them from. I have been in the business for 20+ years longer than he has been and have never seen, or heard of, a university which offered those courses. Maybe they came from a box of Crackerjacks or an online diploma mill which also offered courses in "folding napkins and other lifetime skills".

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
MASTERPLUMBER WITH A PH.D IN WATER HEATEROLGY AND A MASTER'S DEGREE IN DRAINOLGY

I would like to see the degrees and know where he received them from. I have been in the business for 20+ years longer than he has been and have never seen, or heard of, a university which offered those courses. Maybe they came from a box of Crackerjacks or an online diploma mill which also offered courses in "folding napkins and other lifetime skills".

Spartan Tool used to have a program called The International Institute of Sewer & Pipe Cleaning

Plumber00001

Reaction score
CoOl RaT pIc

I stumbled across this page and saw that pic of the rat, i like that, thats a true sewer rat!!. Sewers specializing is the way to go.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
I got my PhD in Pipeology. I was thinking about getting one in Drainology, but didn't have the time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
area

I was in central Chicago then moved to the South suburbs, Harvey, Chicago Heights, Homewood, etc. Left the year after the "big snow" in 1968 and moved to Michigan where it was like that every year, so decided to go where they did not have any snow.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I hear that HJ. Made it through another winter up here in Flag but I realize we don't have anything on the upper states.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes i know what you mean last week it was raining here in houston and bright
and sunny in salt lake city, utah

but this morning i got a phone call from a friend in salt lake, where it's
been snowing since 6;am mst in the intermountian west
so i think i am doing ok in houston texas
i am starting to reach out to other plumbers in the area to find out what kind of income i can make in texas

freeflow

Semi retired master plumber
Reaction score
Title

I started out in 1971 guess my title besides master plumber ,gasfitter, real title should be HOCKYOLIGIST

tylercantango

Reaction score
Be Clean

One thing you can do is maintain the cleanliness of you drain so you don't need to do anything major. Using a debris trap is always a good idea and removing foreign matter before it falls too low to be removed by hand .;)

Toilet Bowl Cleaner

edster

Reaction score
Isolate source of sewage odor and flush the system

How do you isolate the source of a sewage odor in a multi-unit building? Is there typically a junction or traps around the perimeter of a building that you can proceed to FLUSH the connections? I've heard of drum-trap sections that can be sources of trouble. We have a persistent sewage smell coming from a certain section of our unit, but we are not experiencing any backup or drain backup in our unit. We have a shower-bath that is rarely used. If that drain remains dry or un-used can that be trouble? Our neighbor above complains of the same odor. If we do find the source, do plumbers have a commercial liquid solution that can be "flushed" through the system to "sanitize" the network of pipes? I would like to give this building a COLONIC and thoroughly flush the entire drain system - laundry, toilets, sinks. Does such a solution exist in the industry?

Alberto01

Reaction score
Website
www.thedrainman.com.au
Blocked drains can be quite a mess. However, knowing the cause and addressing it is your key to unclogging the problem. Plumbers are the best person to help you to get rid of this situation. The plumber places their tool inside the pipe in order to cut whatever obstruction there is and create a smooth flow of liquid within the pipe. The pipe is then flushed with water to see if the blockage has been completely cleared.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks