Low Flow Rain Showerheads

Users who are viewing this thread

brian3b

Reaction score
Are there any low flow rain showerheads available? I've searched extensively online - all I can find is 2.5 gpm. I was looking for something less (2.0 - 2.2 perhaps?). Thanks!

AlwaysInHotWater

Reaction score
2.5 gpm is low flow. Most people complain about low flow rain type shower heads as it is. Reducing the flow any more would be called a mist type shower.

Back before low flow shower heads were available, I made a few flow restrictors using dimes. Drill a tiny hole through the center of the dime and install it between the shower head and the shower pipe. You can make it as restricted as you want depending on the size of the hole. Careful though, if you screw up, you're out a dime.

CarlH

Reaction score
You haven't looked in the right places. Speakman has some eco friendly shower heads.
http://www.speakmancompany.com/products/list/Shower/LEED+Standard+Eco+Friendly+Showerheads

I have no experience with the Speakman shower heads, but I may try one out one of these days. They have some adjustment, but I do not know of they can be rain like.

Waterpik has their "EcoFlow" series. http://www.waterpikecoflow.com/ I do have 2 of the three models that they have in hand, the 3 mode Ecoflow 1.5 and the 5 mode Ecoflow 2.0. Both work as advertised with respect to water flow, but the 2.0 disappointed in water consumption compared to two other shower heads that I have. It used the same amount or slightly more water as as the EcoFlow 2.0. That means that this waterpik NSC-623 used more water than this waterpik shower massage and the Interbath Rainmaker that I have. It seems that some 2.5 gpm shower heads have about the same flow rate as the 2.0 gpm shower heads.

As for the 3 mode EcoFlow 1.5, it definitely has a reduced flow and it is noticeable compared to the other shower heads that I have. Due to the reduced flow it does have a rain like flow for the normal mode. I think the massage mode produces a bit to much splash which can end up outside of the shower unless you are fairly short.

Oxygenics has some low flow shower heads, but I avoid any type of shower head that aerates because they can increase the hot water draw due to the cooling effect of the aeration and they put too much moisture into the air. i had something similar and it put too much moisture in the air and then I had mold problems. Besides they can be quite forceful, which is not rain like.

When looking to see if there was any info on the Interbath shower head I came across a few Australian sites with information on low flow shower heads. You might have a few more choices if you were in Australia or ordered from an Australian company.

If you want to check out the 3 mode EcoFlow 1.5, it should be available at Target and Ace Hardware.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I no longer consider 2.5gpm as "low flow"
These are fairly normal now

Low flow should be under that number

Delta 1.85 gpm for lower flow
Then you can switch it to 2.5 gpm
good ratings
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-75152-Amplifying-Adjustable-Showerhead/dp/B000LV7W4K

1.59 gpm - also good reviews
This one shuts down to a low trickle when it hits about 95. Then you pull the cord & it goes back to normal spray. Great for warming up the water without waste
http://evolveshowerheads.com/roadrunner_showerhead.html

CarlH

Reaction score
Dave, Any experience with the ones you mentioned?

The Evolve one looks like it might be pretty good, but I don't like the Delta/Alsons due aeration.

The Evolve site has some commentary on the use of aeration.
Aeration of the water can improve the "feel" of the showerhead spray pattern, but it does so by inadvertently reducing the showerhead's energy saving effectiveness. In the aeration process ambient air (70° - 80°) is drawn into the showerhead and rapidly mixed with bathing temperature water (100° - 107°). The introduction of the much cooler air, as much as 30°cooler, can lower the temperature of the water as it exits the showerhead. To compensate for their cooler shower many people find it necessary to increase the temperature of the water entering the showerhead by turning-up the hot water, raising the temperature of their hot water heater, or both.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Dave, Any experience with the ones you mentioned?

The Evolve one looks like it might be pretty good, but I don't like the Delta/Alsons due aeration.

The Evolve site has some commentary on the use of aeration.

I haven't actually used any of them yet
I'm going off reports from other people
Very subjective as some people like the soft shower feel & other people like a shower with forceful water spray

HD nor Lowes stock Lower flow shower heads
So I'll check at my lumber store next time I'm there

I take longer showers, so if I can shave 1/2 gal a min off my use that can equal 10g. :eek:

We get charged on incoming water, then a sewer charge again on approx the same water going out :(

EuroPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lower than 2.5gpm rain heads

Hansgrohe makes some lower flow rain heads that infuse the water with air so that it feels like more than it is actually putting out. I have one in my home and it works well, but is a little noisy from the air intake. It does seem to take longer to shower than with the 2.5gpm head I had before. Check out www.hansgrohe-usa.com

jordan

Reaction score
Handheld low flow and evolve shower head

We have an evolve shower head we have been using (with the pull tab), and we have been quite pleased with it. If I didn't know it was 1.5 GPM (we tested the flow rate), I would have never guessed it. Our local Costco is currently stocking this shower head.

Also, we are remodeling our other bathroom, and I would like a low flow handheld shower head. I see Hansgrohe makes an handheld aerating shower head, has anyone tried one of theirs? Does anyone know of any other brands? Can I mix and match manufacturers with the handheld type? I have a Kohler arm and hose, can I just screw in the head from Hansgrohe and expect it all to work?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I have a Grohe shower head that some how the water restrictor disintegrated. Thank god my shower valve has a volume control on it or I would come out bruised.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks