Toto Drake Flush Question

Users who are viewing this thread

MadisonMini

Reaction score
My first Drake Toilet with Sanigloss installed in first floor bathroom 2006. I liked it so much I installed a second Drake Sanigloss in a second floor bathroom in 2008.

It's subtle, but the upstairs Drake toilet does not flush as vigorously as the down stairs one. Both were purchased from the same store. Both are 1.6L flush.

Stupid question, but is it because of second vs first floor? The flapper in the new Drake is already turning black whereas the flapper in the older is still bright red. The older toilet has a wrap around the chain where the newer doesn't.

It is possible to adjust anything so the upstairs toilet flushes stronger? The upstairs toilet is still better than most, but it seems just a slight bit anemic compared with the downstairs model.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may just be the location where it is set.
We install them every day, and frankly, there are subtle differences when installed.
Looking at the porcelain pieces, they seem identical.
What does change, is the plumbing in the homes.
I know from a plumbing standpoint, that there are many ways to run the pipes depending on the framing.

I don't always equate noise with quality of flush though.
The first Ultramax I ever installed is very quiet. And yet it doesn't seem to plug. That was about ten years ago.
I kind of think they made them nosier just to make people "feel" like it was working harder. Most of the flush is below the surface, the water rushes from the siphon jet, and out the back.
Go ahead, drop a quarter in the bowl and then flush.

willfishforfood

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but if you make a couple of assumptions, such as gravity being the same force equally both upstairs and downstairs, it would seem that the increased power of flush that the downstairs toilet has would likely be due to increased water volume or increased rate of release of water from the tank. Possibly the flapper valves have a different rate of release, or your tank float could be set higher in the downstairs unit.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Or as hj mentions often here, a toilet would drain quicker without a vent.
The vent is to break up the siphon action.
Some drains do pull better then others.
I've been hearing that from hj here for years.

MadisonMini

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. It's not just that the upstairs toilet is slightly quieter, but it also seems a little less forceful, but again it's subtle.

By the way, what does flushing a quarter prove? (newbie here)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks