Bent Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

lavi

Reaction score
I am an amateur and need some help with a shower valve that I dropped today. I purchased the Moen valve to install for a remodel that I am working on and when I got out of the truck the valve fell on the concrete and slightly dented one of the female sweat supply fittings. When you look down the fitting it is slightly dented, just enough so a half inch pipe will not slide into the fitting. Is there a way to fix this? Would I need to take the valve to a machine shop and have them re-bore the hole? I was thinking that a dremel might work too but I am hesitant to do anything until I get some professional advice so I do not ruin the valve. Thanks!

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I would say try bending the pipe thats going into the valve. Use a pair of channel locks. If its ever so slighly then you just need to bend the copper ever so slightly. Make sure you get enough sloder in the joint when sweating it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

Reboring the hole will not work, because the dent has made the opening too large in one direction. Clamp the valve in a vise, and then place a round chisel in the opening and hit it with a hammer to push the dented section out.

lavi

Reaction score
I did not have a round chisel but I was able to use a large flat head screw driver with a padded tip and was able to apply enough pressure to bend out the dent. It's not perfectly round but I was able to slip a 1/2 copper pipe back in it. Thanks for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks