Properly flushing an Aquia toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

fix4all

Reaction score
Recently installed an Aquia II and cannot figure out just how long to depress or hold down one of the two buttons for a proper/complete flush. I have searched far and wide on this forum and search engines and have not come across anything that relates to this. Am I the only one experiencing this problem I keep asking myself?

I had contacted TOTO support on this issue and the Tech said the buttons are sitting too low. Both buttons were recessed about 1/8" so TOTO sent me some new red & blue posts that I had to correctly cut-to-size and now the buttons are just a hair above flush which I prefer; however, this made no difference in the flushing behavior. Seems like I have to hold down either button for 2-3 seconds to get a complete flush, solids or not. There are no obstructions or issues with drainage or clogs. Is this normal? If I flush using the 0.9 gallon button holding that long, the flush is complete but the tank almost completely empties which negates the the water saving feature. I even removed the lid and depressed the the red and blue buttons directly, so it does not seem like a post length issue.

The symptom reminds me of a too loose flapper chain, but of course, none is incorporated in this flushing mechanism. The tech indicated that neither button should need to be held down so long. I have not followed up with support and thought to post the issue here.

Does anyone else experience this or have a fix or is this just normal?

Probedude

Reaction score
I don't own one but this does not sound normal to me.
I would say that the button is pressed and released in a reasonable amount of time and the toilet should keep dumping the tank by itself for an amount that is dependent on which button you push - not dependent on how quick or slow you press.

Call TOTO back and tell them what's going on.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Neither button should empty the tank.
That question has been asked here.

You old toilet may have emptied the tank, but new toilets don't.
If you push the button down, it's more like a jab to release the catch.

It will then let out the predetermined amount of water.
If you hold buttons down, you can force more water out.
But that's not part of the design.

aquia_inside_tank.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it won't flush out the waste when using the proper button, you likely have an obstruction somewhere. If you used a wax seal with a plastic horn, that could be part of the problem. Or, another common thing is someone dropped something into the toilet - a toy, toothbrush, comb, etc. and it partially blocks the outlet.

fix4all

Reaction score
There are definitely no obstructions. Any solid waste flushes completely even when/what seems to be a partial flush. I don't use wax rings and only Fernco seals, which I have used on many toilets without incident. The old toilet that was replaced had no flush issues also w/ a Fernco seal.

I can relate to what Terry is saying about the TANK not completely emptying on the 0.9 Gal flush. It is the 1.6 Gal flush I'm not sure about. If I quickly depress the 1.6Gal button similar to the length of time one would on a conventual lever/flapper type toilet, the tank will empty only about 1/2.

What is the typical button depression time, 1/2 sec, 1 sec, 1.5 sec, etc. I was hoping others who use these toilets could provide some useful data on that. If it's a quick type depression then the flush mechanism is out of adjustment or defective.

I will follow up w/ TOTO support if need be, but my experience is that most T.S. staff don't deal with "real-world" issues and the calls end up being a waste of time.

P1270489.JPG

fix4all

Reaction score
JAB technique

The JAB technique did it first try! A very quick full-depression and immediate release and the toilet flushed perfect. Guess I was too slow on the trigger!

It'd sure be nice if this was described in the TOTO manual and/or troubleshooting section. When you've been a "lever" flipper most of your life, button flushing certainly takes a different approach. That could, however, be TOTO design. Never have used any others.

Thanks for all the expert advice!!!

Last edited:

Chessiec

Reaction score
Helped me, too

I experienced the same "problem" you describe. A relatively usual push on the .9 button (usual being about the rhythm a level would be pushed) would result in a little abortive flush. But a longer hold resulted in too much water release.

The JAB method, huh? I'll give it a try.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if the toilet has buttons or a lever...depress fully, release, and it should work. It takes all of about 0.25 second for the average person to react to the realization that they actually got to the end of travel, which should be enough to make it work. You do need to get to the end of the travel, pausing too long while there will cause it to use more water than designed; just flicking it often will not produce the desired results.

fix4all

Reaction score
The 0.9 Gal flush does seem abortive with the sound it makes. Just have to get used to the fact that the .9G flush will not completely empty the bowl. Just the nature of the design.

SimplyWhole

Reaction score
I understand from this conversation that the toilet bowl won't completely empty, but something has definitely recently changed with our Aquia. It sounds like much less water exchange than what we had in the past. And the evidence is that the toilet becomes dirty in just a few days. This is a new situation. I've read a lot of Toto troubleshooting, but it appears to all be written for a traditional chain toilet. What steps should I take next? I can record a flush if that helps. There's no "glug glug" sound at the end. I know, cue the laughter. The toilet is no longer glug-glugging. :)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bowl empties, the tank doesn't.
If you have reduced ability lately, there may be something in the trapway slowing things down. I've even seen Q-Tips that would prevent a good flush. The trapway needs to be clear for water to pass by quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks