UK Radiator Valve and US Copper Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

AlexandriaRemodeler

Reaction score
I'm a Home Remodeling GC trying to get a client-purchased Towel Radiator (from UK) installed in bath renovation. I've had the Plumbing sub. out three times to install the towel radiator, but he was unsuccessful each time. Help!!! (And, of course, I won't ever again install customer purchased fixtures from UK or other non-USA provider...and may not install customer-purchased/provided anything as part of a renovation project...)

Problem: cannot connect 1/2" copper pipe to compression side of Hudson Reed Minimalist Angled Valve. Note: the threaded fitting side of the valve fits nicely to the Radiator.

Background: the compression fitting doesn't appear internally beveled enought to allow the threaded nut to evenly catch the threads when a ferule (or olive) is sleeved over 1/2" copper pipe. I believe the compression fitting size is 15mm (it measures about 5/8" on my rule).

My plumber tried different size USA copper pipe, but cannot find a a way to connect to the valve.

Solution I'm Thinking Of as a GC: (a) Take the valve to a machine shop and have them bevel out the interior of the compression fitting enough to allow the ferrule to slip further into the fitting so the compression nut catches. My concern here is that a "field modified" valve will fail and then I'll be paying to repair water damaged residence.

URL for drawing of the Angled Valve:
http://www.ashdownhomestore.co.uk/d...straight-chrome-radiator-valve-pack-680-p.asp

Note: the valves we received from UK Hudson Reed w/ the Radiator didn't come w/ the Chrome tubes/pipes shown in the pic at the URL above. I don't see how the chrome tubes from the vendor would help in that the problem we're having is the compression nut cannot evenly thread when the ferrule is slipped over the 1/2" pipe.

AlexandriaRemodeler

Reaction score
Machinist Solve Problem

Although the Plumber was not yet available to install the valves, I think I found a solution. Took to a machine shop and them bore/bevel out the compression fitting so the ferruled/pipe would not fit in the valve. I think it'll work, but only the Plumber will know for sure.
Tom

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I own properties in both countries. Things there don't come here, and things here don't go there.

But the skills needed to the jobs in both countries are roughly the same!

Except for the electrical of course.

And the heating.

And the hot water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks