Brass to PVC adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
looking for 3/4" and 3/8" NPT to PVC for my steam shower generator and pan drains and all I am seeing is CPVC. Since PVC is cheaper, I would like to use that for the drains. Do these adapters exist?

The 3/4" plug is threaded inside for 1/2" so maybe I can use that?

so, looking for 3/8 male and 3/4 female or 1/2 male.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How do you plan on connecting those drains to the house DWV system? Can you pipe them down to a floor drain or utility sink? The drain would otherwise have to go into a trap with a primer unless the condensate was enough to keep the trap primed. I'd be worried about using PVC simply because of the potential heat I'd think the water could have but I've never installed a steam generator. I just know PVC is not recommended above 140*F.

If PVC is OK'd by Kohler, you can use pressure fittings and transition to DWV fittings if needed. Even if you used CPVC, I'm not sure how you'd connect it to any PVC since the dimensions are different. I've never seen CPVC used for DWV work before except on commercial refrigeration units.

BTW, Sharkbites also work with CPVC, so if you can't find the fitting for the male connection on the generator and pan, you can use the Sharkbite threaded adapter fittings to transition to CPVC.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
I was going to run them to the basement floor drain in the furnace room. I didn't think of the temp rating. Lowes has brass to CPVC transitions. CPVC is rated to 200, correct?

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sorry, just checked. As a pressure pipe its rated to 180*F at 100 PSI. It is not recommended above 180* in pressure applications. Since this will not see pressure, it should be fine

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Thanks. I am thinking I will only drain the pan, not the drain valve as that ons is 3/8" NPT. If I need to flush it, I'll just let it drain in the pan and down the drain. Or attach a hose to it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks