Thermostat Problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

JJLJr

Reaction score
I have a Honeywell RTH 6300 Programmable Thermostat. It is about one years old. I have a Weil McClein gas furnace that is about 1 1/2 year old. My house is insulated and the windows are new. Here's my problem. In the vening, the thermostat kicks on maybe every 20 minutes. It stays on for only 2-3 minutes and then shuts off. We have it set for 69 degrees but the house doesn't feel warm. The cycle is so short that the bedrooms at the end don't get any heat. I've reviewed the manual and settings are correct. I didn't notice this problem last year. Of course, last year is was much milder. (I will add that the Tstat seems to work fine in the morning and afternoon when the temp goes from 62-68/69). I have a cheap Lux on a separate zone and it works fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's probably working normally. You might try flipping the switch to force the fan on. This will constantly circulate the air, providing a more even temperature. You may have to balance the ductwork.There are some thermostats that enable multiple sensors, and if you set one of those up, you could have a sensor in the bedrooms as well as downstairs. You might end up with the downstairs warmer in order to get the upstairs the temp you want if things aren't balanced well, though.

JJLJr

Reaction score
I should have included that I have a forced hot water system and I live in a ranch house. My system doesn't have a fan only the circulator and that seems to work fine. I'm starting to think that the tstat temp is inaccurate and that the tstat hallway placement is too close to my dining room causing a false reading. I placed a digital thermometer next to the tstat last night and the temp was 1 degree lower. This morning I noticed that when I turned on the dining room light the digital thermometer temp increased by 0.7 degrees. I think I'll do a few more experiments; although, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You confused issues when you said furnace, which typically is forced hot air, verses a boiler.

Is everything on one zone? You may need a rework to provide a second zone which would have its own thermostat. If you slab is insulated, with radiant, 69 might not be too bad.

upupdowndown412

Reaction score
I also had a problem with the Honeywell RTH6300B thermostat 4 months ago. I All was working well till a few weeks ago, I noticed a funny smell and since then the auto fan setting on thermostat will not start the fan. The furnace starts but stops without the fan running. I Switched it to the manual fan and everything works well. I think it ended up the the blower control board stopped working it could be the same for your problem

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks